Author Topic: Soulanger's NDS Games  (Read 22221 times)

Offline soulanger

Soulanger's NDS Games
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:55:33 PM »
Soulanger Review System

I give Overview reviews from the following:

Concept - Is the general concept interesting? Does it have something innovative? Will it be fun or usefull? Is it basic?
Presentation - Is the game presentated gracefully? Was the graphics bad? How about the sound? Were they generic?
Execution - Is the program faithful to its promising Concept? Is it okay? Are there glitches? Did exceed expectations?

Overviews points are merely, guides to show if the game has strong points in a certain category. These score will not affect the Final Score.
The only categories that will affect the score are:

Motion Support (.5/.5) - Does it support Motion?
Original entry (.5/.5) - It wasnt posted in the previous Neo Competitions?
Overall (10/10) - Was the whole program good? What did it lack?

It will then sum up to the Final Score (11/11)

This system was made so that game genres that have rare times to show their graphical capabilities (like Text Based Adventure) and games that can show graphics in each portion of the game (like Platformers and action games) would be much fair. In apps a great example would be comparing flashme to an image viewer, flashme would certainly receive lesser points even tho they are quite different. I also try to review the game/app in its coding side, something coders might find as a treat.

The reviews are aligned from best to not so bright, homebrews.

Operation Libra

Concept 9/10
A point and click adventure game, where the idea is to escape the room. A typical foundation of the genre, and like all adventure games this one has puzzle elements into it. Not everybody likes adventure games, but fans do know that it's all about the story and execution of concept.

Presentation 8/10
A grainy yet stylish kind of art. It has that adventure game, standard feel. Which may not be loved by all.

Execution 10/10
Very impressive. I'm quite fascinated with this game. The both the story and puzzles of the game is quite amazing. There are not much stuff to complain about it. It's a well executed game, which can be easily compared to other adventure game classics. It's pretty hard to review a game which primary focuses on both story and puzzles. Saying a lot might spoil the fun.

Overall 9/10
A lot of effort and love was given to this game. This game is certainly, a gem in both the Adventure Game and Homebrew community. I may not appeal to all but to those who love adventure games this is a must play.

Motion Supported .5
Original entry .5

Final Score 10/11 Try It!

http://tinyurl.com/NEOLIBRA

DawnSeekers
Concept 10/10
Classic FPS game play. Point and shoot fast paced action! Just like all those DOS FPS games I used to love. Everything fans of the old 3D Realms/Apogee/Id would expect, they are all here.

Presentation 8/10
The graphics engine is heavily coded, textured, and modeled. Extreme effort was given to this game. Sadly, the pressentation is quite very disappointing for those who followed the project, especially those who read the mainstream articles, the game had a year ago. The engine is very impressive but you may ask so why wasn't it good? Well based from a footage one year ago, what made the author's graphical engine, was that it could construct some amazing lighting effects. Heck it was compared a lot to Dementium, and to exaggerate the press say its even better. But in this current build there are no map or room that can use those effect. Unlike Dementium, this game isn't a horror game, and all of the rooms are well lit. Another problem with the Presentation is that animations of the models arent that great. Characters don't transitite very well when changing to another animation. The movement from one keyframe to the next, is very choppy. Hench the animation is so unimpressive, that at times you may think that the models are prerendered even thought they arent.... are they? In the end the Presentation feels very disappointing because of the story's settings, its okay though its merely a demo, and it kinda suits the classic DOS game play very well.

Execution 7/10
Its fine but it isn't as great as the old DOS games. Its far from complete game play wise. Yes, the memorization game play is there, and it feels very satisfying when you finish off the stage. But there are a large number of issues that made it very frustrating. Such as all enemies has an ultra fast movement speed that could stand at your back almost instantly. They also walk through walls at time. They don't spawn until an area has been reached. They have perfect aim. And they gang up on you. So you can easily die. The worst part of it is that the game has no checkpoints when you die you go straight to the beginning of the stage, and let me tell you it is very far.

Overall 9/10
The game is very fun if your good enough, but it still very very incomplete. The author does have a lot plans for the complete game. Such as a complete campaign and it would be very interesting if the author will also release some mod tools such as his map editor. With that games like Counter Strike DS, or Half Life DS may become possible. I don't know about you guys, but I'm so excited for this one.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

Final Score 9.5/11 Sneak Peek

http://tinyurl.com/NEODAWN

You Have To Burn The Rope DS

Concept 9/10
An NDS of the loved flash game called, You have to burn the rope. If you haven't played the game, it's quite hard to define what it is without giving spoilers.  It's an art/joke/puzzle game where you fight the monster, The Grinning Colossus, inside a room. The game merely lasts for 5 mins for you to finish it. It's a great game, but the replay value can only last for 1-3 plays.

Presentation 8/10
I looks and sounds, very slick, and very faithful to its PC counterpart, although he did lowered the volume of the game's ending, which is the entire essence of the game. It was low enough that I had to extend my neck to the DS just to hear it.

Execution 10/10
Achievements, Mods, and a Top screen Map! These features that the author have added are extremely slick. It's obvious how the author really loves the original game, as playing his version clearly shows that he wanted to squeeze every bit of fun to the 5 mins game. Sadly though, that he wasn't successful at keeping the game's replay value alive.

Overall 9/10
If you haven't played the original You Have To Burn The Rope, Get It! If you already tried it, I still say, Get it! Why? Some of your friends might have not played it yet and this portable version is a great way to let them try it any time, but do make sure to wear headphones as the ending really suffers from bad volume, not being able to listen to it would certainly ruin the fun.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

Final Score 9.5/11 Try it

http://tinyurl.com/NEOBURNTHEROPE

Alien Puzzle

Concept 8/10
You are an alien that wants to go back to his "F" Gem. The alien is controlled with a pacman-like control scheme, he moves continuously in one direction. So evading direct hit deaths would be more challenging. I can say that this game is a cross fusion of Irritating Sticks and pacman.

Presentation 7/10
The game got a retro style graphics to it, it's quite like those old DOS games and NES games that we love so much. Retro graphics are awesome. What's an F Gem? I dunno, but I love to believe it's his home. I also like to believe that the alien is ET. Sadly not everybody appreciates these kind of graphics. It's not incomplete I believe, the retro like graphics is indeed the art direction the author wanted. But other than that the other sections of the games are very disappointing, I would rather have the whole game having retro style art. Instead the game has yellow and green interfaces, that isn't very good.

Execution 8/10
The author was able to execute this fine simple game, quite good. Sadly he didn't push it more than that. Although game does have a custom map feature. It's not in-game, there is no desktop application, instead you have to do it manually.

Overall 8/10
It's great, but nothing more. I really find the graphics pleasant. I do believe its complete though. If you are in the mood for classic retro game play this game is a choice. I'll give it a Try it. I just hope that the author will still update this surprisingly fun homebrew.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

Final Score 8.5/11 Try It!

http://tinyurl.com/NEOALIEN

Bouncy Marble V2

Concept 6/10
Basically it's a clone of Icy Tower for the DS. Go as high as you can in the random tower while the camera follows. If you go outside the lower part of the screen, the game ends. There's is also a nifty feature in the mechanics of the game, where the character jumps higher when you run fast before jumping doing this will also give you a multiplier for your scores.

Presentation 6/10
It's better than most homebrew games in terms of Presentation, but it doesn't reach commercial standards. The game's graphics feels very rushed, there are some incomplete parts where it uses plain text and premade codes, the save replay screen is the most notable. There are also two versions of this game, one has music while the other one doesn't. The music version doesn't add much, it merely has a simple music playing feature. Which is preinstalled with songs that feels very out of place and random to the game.

Execution 8/10
Very impressive execution. The game has replays, online hiscores, a simple music player, and a tutorial. Most of the features are well executed, although I am not sure for the online hiscore feature, as I've tried quite a number of times just to upload my scores, the game says that the connection is a failure. Sadly though that you can't post your score afterwards you didn't accept the game's request to upload it, or even though you accept it, it fails due to some unknown reasons.

Overall 8/10
Even though its pretty much basic and it's very incomplete in most part, the game is still worth a try especially for Ice Tower fans. If this project is to be continued and refined, I would be glad to give it another play and who knows it might become a favorite to some of the homebrew fans out there.

Not Motion Supported
Not Original entry

Final Score 8/11 Try It!
http://tinyurl.com/NEOMARBLE

Lights Off!
Concept 8/10
A clone of Lights Up/Akari! The goal of the game is to turn off all the lights. Tapping a tile turns off a light room and also does the same to around it. Tapping a dark room does otherwise. It's a puzzle game that a number of us already know and some of us might have played it as a Zelda puzzle.

Presentation 6/10
A plain interface, that is purely blue. A dark room is blue while a bright room is a little brighter. It's very hard to see the difference of both, and very uneasy to play. Consecutive play made burn my eyes. A blue color blinded user would find this game very difficult to play, and that's not in a fun way.

Execution 6/10
The general game play works fine, but other features I find essential isn't here. There is not reset button for you to restart the puzzle from scratch and there is also no skip level feature, and the first puzzle is either too hard or impossible to finish. There is also no menu in the game.

Overall 7/10
I'm quite a fan of Lights Up, heck I play it a lot on my iPod Touch. If you like Lights Up, this game might be for you. Hopefully this wouldn't be the last we've seen of this author's version of this game, as it isn't complete.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

Final Score 7.5/11 Too Early

http://tinyurl.com/NEOLIGHTS

TouchRight! - Featuring Terra the Pessimist!

Concept 7/10
As the author says, TouchRight! is an addictive math game, that asks to compute impossible equations in a limited amount of time and tries. It features a Pessimist commentator named Terra. She will always let you down, by mocking and annoying you on whatever you do. It was made as Proof of concept on how multitouch can be used for a ds game. The idea of Terra, is quite innovative, but you don't know if the author made her to be funny or just plain annoying. How you feel about Terra differs from person to person. I love the author's innovative concept, but the other concepts isn't as good.

Presentation 6/10
A cluttered Presentation made with mostly static images. The images, although they are complete, they still lack a great number of graphical tweaks. There is sounds, but the volume is so low you could vaguely hear it even at full volume. There are also voice clips made by a text-to-speech program. A typical DS homebrew Presentation, it isn't commercial quality but it does the job done.

Execution 8/10
The game play is confusingly executed. The author honestly want impossible equations to be computed in few seconds, and guess what he did it perfectly. It is impossible! Answering questions is quite impossible also. The multitouch gimmick didn't work well. Most of the time your answer will be one, even though you answered otherwise. There is also no confirmation what number did you answer with. The reason why the game isn't that very good at detecting the number of fingers is because you need to be very timed when you tap your fingers. The game when a finger is detected the program will instantly take it as an answer. So you can't put one finger then the next, and so on. You have to time the tap of all fingers at once, in one millisecond.

Overall 7/10
I'm not sure if its complete, but it isn't much. The center of attention of the game is Terra, an innovative character idea. Even though you hate her or love her, she only last for a few good laugh or stress, the same goes for the game.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

Final Score 7.5/11 Passable

http://tinyurl.com/NEOTOUCHRIGHT

Seek And Recharge
Concept 7/10
A slightly complex, floor switching puzzle game. You have a number of steps to move until the game forces you to change floors. You can also change the floors by will.  If you get touch by the floor that you are not immune you will die. It varies from person to person, others may find it fun and relaxing while others will find it frustrating.

Presentation 7/10
Feels like a Snes like or mid-end DOS game. The character reminds me of those npc robots from Megaman Battle Network. The menus are quite easy to navigate but in-game interface is quite bad, I always find my self confuse what the color of L or R will be, and thus resulting me to die.

Execution 7/10
The execution is nice, but I would prefer it if the author made it more noob friendly and less frustrating for those who keeps on dying. Maybe the users can go back to a few steps rather than dying, etc. The tutorial is also an issue, its plain text and a little tedious to read. I'm not sure if I got the concept right.

Overall 7/10
The game play concept sounds quite nice, but the author should make it more easy to pickup, and make it less frustrating. It really depends if this game is for you to try, so I'm going to give it a Sneak Peek.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

Final Score 7.5/11 Sneak Peek

http://tinyurl.com/NEOSEEKANDRECHARGE

DSDice
Concept 6/10
Yahtzee, a classic dice game, for the DS. For those who don't know how to play. It's a little complex to explain the games rules. But basically you roll dices, in three tries. Get scores on their results.

Presentation 9/10
The Presentation is extremely nice. There are three themes. The best theme is the default black one. There are also other extra options added made just aid the interface. I really do like how the author made the interface of the game. Sadly though that he left the dice roll static. It's pretty boring to see the roll result instantly without suspense. I could have given this a 10/10[/color].

Execution 10/10
Slick execution to a very decent concept. There are not much to say, but the author really gave love to his project.

Overall 7/10
There are not much game play to this one. I rather find the game play decent, but in terms of style and Presentation this one's a certain win. I believe the author just made this project just to try making a great interface. I have small doubts that a new homebrew gem is in the making, we might not see the last of this author.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

http://tinyurl.com/NEODICE

Five_Error
Concept 8/10
Spot the difference in over 100 images. Simple as it is, these kind of games are still very addictive. Heh, laugh now people just see if you can escape the addictiveness of this concept!

Presentation 8/10
It depends, if you are okay with spotting the difference in realistic graphics. You would like it. Otherwise, you might not. Interface is fairly simple, nothing great but easy to navigate. It's also a great idea that the author made it in landscape mode which is good for these kind of games.

Execution 7/10
It's alright. Aside from the arcade mode there is also a time trial mode. A different difficulty levels. The author promises more in the his next build. I could give a higher execution score but sadly, the game doesn't run in all flash carts. I had a hard time running this.

Overall 8/10
It's quite fun. If you got some spare space in your sd card and some spare time. Try checking this one out. The author promises a wifi mode and a story mode in his next build. Both of these promised features sounds very interesting, come on a story mode in a Spot the difference game? Just make sure it isn't childish. It'll be so awesome if you make it dark story. Quite a good game.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

Final Score 8.5/11 Passable

http://tinyurl.com/NEOFIVEERROR

OMG WTF
Concept 7/10
Despite the awesome name, the game is merely..... a Tetris clone. Stack the
blocks that you have been given into a line. If you succeeded in creating a
line, the line would then disappear and will become your score.

Presentation 8/10
The game has simple graphic. It's simple but it does it nicely. The graphics of the game is basically made out of tiles and text. All of the tiles in the game uses this one simple square. The square does however changes to a different color when inactive. I'm not sure if the game is yet to be completed, but its very lacking in terms of Presentation. But set aside the graphics, the sound presentation of the game is quite impressive. The weird soundtrack that the author picked for the game is very wicked. It captures Tetris' mood well. Very hypnotic and weird, and very well picked.

Execution 6/10
Its Tetris but there are also a lot of game play modes that gives the general game some minor twist. Minor in the fact that it doesn't affect the game play that much, unlike the commercial Tetris DS that has features that are very major. I also have problems with how the game does Tetris's natural game mechanics. Tetris DS players will take notice of the missing Up button and rotate block trick. The game also failed to imitate the collision of other Tetris games. You also have to wait a few seconds when the block touches the ground until the game will move on to the next block.

Overall 7/10
It isn't a perfect Tetris clone. It has some pretty fine features and a impressive soundtrack, but the imitation of Tetris' mechanics isn't that very comfortable and fun for those who have already played other Tetris games.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

http://tinyurl.com/NEOOMGWTF
DronS V1.6
Concept 8/10
It's basically Tron's Light Cycles. For those who doesn't know what it is, think of it as a multiplayer version of snake.

Presentation 5/10
The graphics of the game is alright. Its uses a basic 3d engine, it can do antialiasing (disabled by default), move objects around, etc. There are also some minor graphical bugs. The game's menu is a little annoying. I, being color blind, found out that the colors of the menu is really bad. It's pretty hard to differentiate the highlighted color from the rest, enough that I count the number of d-pad press just to know what menu have I selected. A graphical icon and touch based menu would be a lot better, with it there will be lesser need for different language support and user friendliness of the menu will be a lot better.

Execution 7/10
The game did have some amazing features like net-play and game play customizations but regarding it's a simple year old project, it's pretty disappointing that the game isn't very polished. During my play I found some bugs that can be use for cheap and foul play. There are collision bugs which can easily be done by turning simultaneously. There is also this one game play breaking bug that will cause your light cycle to stop creating lights which can also be done by simultaneously turning before the start of the next game.

Overall 7/10
The game was okay. It did had some amazing features but the lack of execution was pretty much its downfall. Hopefully the author still continue this year old project, and polish it. It's quite addictive if you do ignore its bad points and use the game play breaking bugs.

Motion Supported .5
Not Original entry

http://tinyurl.com/NEODRONS
Hangman
Concept 7/10
A hangman clone. The word is hidden. You have 5 tries to guess to see if a letter is in the word. If you revealed all the letters of the word, you win. Otherwise, you lose. A simple yet addictive word game.

Presentation 7/10
The graphical interface of the game contains merely of  a simple ABC keyboard and a static image with simple letters in the top screen. The static image changes on each wrong answer. There is also text to that represent what letters have been revealed

Execution 7/10
The execution wasn't that excellent, but rather very simple. There are no other features or menu other than the game. The game was clearly rushed. The game only has few number of words to play with. There are also major glitches in the game, like that the revealed letters in a word that you have failed to complete. Will not reset the next time you get the word. There is also a problem in this one word, that you cannot finish it as the last letter cannot be revealed.

Overall 7/10
Great game the homebrew scene needs more of these games. Sadly not all of the word homebrew games that I've tried on the DS aren't that very good in terms of execution. I do wish that the author will continue this and polish it until it becomes a gem. Although, it wasn't that executed perfectly the game was still damn fun.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

http://tinyurl.com/NEOHANGMAN

Around The Clock
Concept 7/10
Aim and throw the darts, using the d-pad and the A button. The cursor shakes while you do try to aim.

Presentation 6/10
Bland graphics, which would remind you of those old great early-DOS games. Not much but it does the job just right.

Execution 7/10
It's not much of a surprise that the author could pull off such a simple concept. But there are some tricks that would make your next shot stay very near to the previous. You can do this by spamming your darts by rapidly tapping A. The hi-scores, are also too high which could easily break motivation of the player.

Overall 7/10
It's pretty much complete, but it isn't much of a game that everybody would like. It's merely a minigame.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

http://tinyurl.com/NEOCLOCK

Xplosive Combat
Concept 7/10
A basic Vertical Shoot em up game. All basic, but not more.

Presentation 9/10
Reminds me of those great nokia and capcom SHMUPs. Pretty nice and smooth looking. Very well presented.

Execution 8/10
A very well executed demo of his shooter engine. Not much to say, there's not much innovation.

Overall 7/10
A very beautiful techdemo. Too bad it's incomplete. I just hope the author will not cancel this project and give great game play. I'll be watching this project. Kudos to the author.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

http://tinyurl.com/NEOCOMBAT

Stargrazer
Concept 5/10
In this current build, the concept is to defeat the incoming waves of enemies while trying to stay alive. A plain simple shmup game.

Presentation 7/10
A pixilated menu that tries to imitate the interface of Smash Bros Melee or
Meteos. The in-game sprites in the other hand uses a random sprites from various games. The Presentation wouldn't astonish you, but it does the job quite fine.

Execution 6/10
For this build it has simple controls, no stylus, etc. Hit box is quite unfair and something what shmups players wouldn't want. Not much to say, as I believe that this game is yet to be finished.

Overall 6/10
As a game it is very plain, as it is yet to be finished. But as a tech demo, it's quite good. Its yet too early to judge this game. The game's core game play is yet to be finished, and there are a lot of place holders.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

Final Score 6.5/11 Too early
http://tinyurl.com/NEOGRAZER
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:48:37 PM by soulanger »

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
Re: Soulanger's NDS Games
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 12:14:33 AM »
So.... there's a 3-way tie for 1st, 2-way tie for 4th, and a 9-way tie for 7th?
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline soulanger

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
Unfortunately yes. By only by score. It is imposible not to tie with scores, especially with  this number of entries. The entries are already aligned from best to top tho. Its what i think what the list will be. I selected which ones is better, with my personal opinion.

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:56:32 AM »
ok. That makes sense.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline leinad

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »
Very detailed review.
just one request: please add some [.hr.] things and change the size or/and bolt the game-names so you can seperate the replays better :x

@Bouncy Marble.
The game's graphics feels very rushed,
Woah, how did you point out that ^^ ? Well, there were 2 things I during the last days before 20th: I didnt had that much time anymore and I sux at GFXing xD

, the game says that the connection is a failure.
GOD DAMN IT! WiFi can be a real b***. Why does the feature work for some
(Already over 10 different ppl submitted highscores. 80 highscore entries in total) but then fails for other =_= ? I hope I can get it work for everyone next time...

@ DronS:

..., found out that the colors of the menu is really bad.
Hmm, yeah I realy should add a arrow pointing at the selected entry at least =$

There are collision bugs which can easily be done by turning simultaneously. There is also this one game play breaking bug that will cause your light cycle to stop creating lights which can also be done by simultaneously turning before the start of the next game.

Huh ? Right now Im smashing on my D-Pad as much as possible trying to find the bug x( I remember that it happened during WiFi play once, but I never could reproduce it. I would be realy happy if I can find the bug =$

it can do antialiasing (disabled by default)
What do you mean with "disabled by default" ?
The AA feature is enabled in DronS o_o
-n00bey

Offline soulanger

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 01:25:01 AM »
Hi Noobey.
About marble? Yap libwifi is quite annoying, at times. I'm not sure why it does that tho, but I assure you my wifi settings works.

As for DronS:
Its really hard to see the highlighted menu.. Sorry im color blind. Its only now that I know. As I did a research if I was the only one have problems seeing it.
As for the bug, it easier to reproduce it using. The config "Left Dpad - Left turn A button - Right Turn", then do a circle then loop around it. It takes practice to master the trick tho. ;)
And for the Antialiasing, its not activated by default, in my version. I had to activate Perfomance Mode first.

As for the layout.. I'm fixing it. ^^"
edit: Oh btw, thanks for the appreciation. :3
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 01:36:05 AM by soulanger »

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 02:09:58 AM »
From what I read (not all of it), very nice review. Most of what you say about my game is true, and even though that kind of makes me sad, it's true that it's very incomplete, buggy and there's still a lot to do... But thanks for the positive and detailed feedback. :)
About the lighting : in the demo, the dynamic lighting effects deactivated. That's why it might not look as good as the video from last year. Also, as you pointed out, there are now dark rooms, so lighting isn't really shown off anyway. But yeah, the engine still has tons of remaining potential. :)

Offline soulanger

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 02:15:57 AM »
Thanks smealum. :D
I always try to give the authors some extra boost to motivate them, and no matter how hard it is at times, I try not to be hostile.  ~sm-40.gif~
Oh and I review through things most reviewers dont, which is how the program is coded, and maybe how graphics are created also. ^^"
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 02:22:33 AM by soulanger »

Offline samel

• SpaghettiDSDev
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 03:42:37 AM »
soulanger: are you a programmer or a grephics artist?
--
Samel
"Close the world, txen eht nepo!"
"You will never break my mind!"

Offline soulanger

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 03:44:14 AM »
Both. ^^"

Offline Placeholder

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »
Nice review, it's laid out really neatly.

Well written, and marked fairly. Everything written seems true enough. It gives a good idea of what is good and bad about each item. Pictures were a nice addition too. Helped explain some of what you were describing.

These penguin emoticons are awesome!  :-*

Offline Gaz

• DS Homebrew
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »
Hiya Soul Langer,

Nice contradiction!

Gems Artwork
------------------

Presentation 7/10
The game got a retro style graphics to it, it's quite like those old DOS games and NES games that we love so much. Retro graphics are awesome. What's an F Gem? I dunno, but I love to believe it's his home. I also like to believe that the alien is ET. Sadly not everybody appreciates these kind of graphics. It's not incomplete I believe, the retro like graphics is indeed the art direction the author wanted. But other than that the other sections of the games are very disappointing, I would rather have the whole game having retro style art. Instead the game has yellow and green interfaces, that isn't very good.

My Artwork
--------------

Presentation 6/10
Bland graphics, which would remind you of those old great early-DOS games. Not much but it does the job just right.

---------------
I am very poor at art, but I do my best  :'(

Concept 7/10
Aim and throw the darts, using the d-pad and the A button. The cursor shakes while you do try to aim.

Cursors to move dart
B = Throw Dart
X = Toggle music on/off

You obviously didn't play the game, try it; you might like it!

Offline soulanger

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
Haha, langer. XD

I never said the art was bad. Some people who grew up in the Early-DOS era like me will perhaps actually find the style, rather pleasing. But not everybody would like it.

B button? Whoops! XD
Its a typo, sorry. ^^"
I did played the game, it was one of my first homebrews that I reviewed. I had a hard time getting a 100 score. I took quite a while, afterwards I then stopped playing, I thought my score was impressive, it turns out the hiscores are 600+. o_o Like I said it broke my motivation to get a higher score. And yes, it is quite a fun minigame.
So please dont say that I didnt play it. ^^"

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 01:14:25 AM »
Thanks soulanger for the review. I think it's really decent, but I had just a couple things to say.

Quote from: soulanger
Sadly though that he left the dice roll static. It's pretty boring to see the roll result instantly without suspense.
Yup, that was something I should have done (and made a user preference)  :D

I'm glad you liked the interface, though.

But with regard to this statement:
Quote from: soulanger
I believe the author just made this project just to try making a great interface.
I say ha! I would never embark on a project with set goal in mind.  ^-^

psst everyone kinda needs to lighten up a bit

Offline x711Li

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 01:37:23 AM »
Operation Libra

Concept 9/10
A point and click adventure game, where the idea is to escape the room. A typical foundation of the genre, and like all adventure games this one has puzzle elements into it. Not everybody likes adventure games, but fans do know that it's all about the story and execution of concept.

Presentation 8/10
A grainy yet stylish kind of art. It has that adventure game, standard feel. Which may not be loved by all.

Execution 10/10
Very impressive. I'm quite fascinated with this game. The both the story and puzzles of the game is quite amazing. There are not much stuff to complain about it. It's a well executed game, which can be easily compared to other adventure game classics. It's pretty hard to review a game which primary focuses on both story and puzzles. Saying a lot might spoil the fun.

Overall 9/10
A lot of effort and love was given to this game. This game is certainly, a gem in both the Adventure Game and Homebrew community. I may not appeal to all but to those who love adventure games this is a must play.

Not Motion Supported
Original entry .5

Final Score 9.5/11 Try It!

http://tinyurl.com/NEOLIBRA

Operation Libra has Motion Supported... tested and working on an R6 Gold motion card.

Appreciated the review though. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:41:31 AM by B12Core »