Author Topic: Soulanger's NDS Games  (Read 22222 times)

Offline arrpirate

Re: Soulanger's NDS Games
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 02:57:19 AM »
Its Tetris but there are also a lot of game play modes that gives the general game some minor twist. Minor in the fact that it doesn't affect the game play that much, unlike the commercial Tetris DS that has features that are very major. I also have problems with how the game does Tetris's natural game mechanics. Tetris DS players will take notice of the missing Up button and rotate block trick. The game also failed to imitate the collision of other Tetris games. You also have to wait a few seconds when the block touches the ground until the game will move on to the next block.

Overall 7/10
It isn't a perfect Tetris clone. It has some pretty fine features and a impressive soundtrack, but the imitation of Tetris' mechanics isn't that very comfortable and fun for those who have already played other Tetris games.

What? You're knocking off points for me not directly copying Tetris DS? If you want to play Tetris DS, play Tetris DS. This is my game. I have things the way I do because I like it that way in my game. For example, the last sentence  int hte first paragraph I quoted... "You also have to wait a few seconds when the block touches the ground until the game will move on to the next block." ... That's a feature, not a big. I like that feature. And it's not a few seconds. It's actually a fraction of a second. I could tell you exactly how long it is, but I don't want to open my source code right now. All tetris games I've come across have this feature. It's what allows sliding tricks. I have it set to how I like it. You know why? Because this is my game, not Tetris DS.

Thanks about the music, though :D

Offline arrpirate

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 03:01:27 AM »
Oh, and on my Lights Off! game... If it hurt your eye, you may want to get your eyes checked. Also, it is not fair for you to compare my work to another game. I didn't clone 'Lights Up!'... I cloned an old handhold game I had when I was a child. You know why it didn't have a menu or a reset button or a 'new puzzle' button (what I assume you meant by level skip)? Because the original handheld didn't have those features. Also, it shall never have a menu. The goal was to emulate the real life handheld, which looked exactly like that with exactly the same features, minus the extra colors of light. The original had these dim blue lights that barely lit up and you could change difficulty with these little sliders. You just turned it on and played. No extra features.

Offline soulanger

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 03:43:08 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys I appreciate it. :)
Thanks soulanger for the review. I think it's really decent, but I had just a couple things to say.
Yup, that was something I should have done (and made a user preference)  :D

I'm glad you liked the interface, though.

But with regard to this statement:I say ha! I would never embark on a project with set goal in mind.  ^-^
Thanks lucanius! Hmm, Really? Your presentation is very impactful, even tho its quite a fun little game I still kinda thought this was just an excuse to show your graphical skills. :D

psst everyone kinda needs to lighten up a bit

Who? o_o

@B12Core: Holy ****, how could I forget that! I know this game got motion support. I really knew that! >_< Dang but I forgot to put it. I'll edit up the review, its pretty major. For that it flanks out DawnSeekers for the top1. If Dr. Neo says it isnt allowed, mods please revert it to the original version. I will not edit the my other review threads just to make sure, if i did break the rules. >_< Anyway, thanks B12.

@Arrpirate: Thanks for the replies Arrpirate! Hmm, I see. I'm not knocking off points just because its not a direct copy of Tetris DS. The concept of the game was a clone of Tetris. I lowered some of the points in the execution area because some of it lacks some of Tetris's features, that are in "The Tetris Company's official guideline". Features such as the, infinite spin, easy spin/tight spin,  hard drop, etc. More of them are found here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris

If you havent seen it yet the guidelines for my review is on top of the thread.
Hmm about your lights off game. ^^" I'm sorry if it hurts my eyes. I'm actually color blind... You can't blame me. :( Alot of people are color blind also, and I'm having a hard time distinguishing the lit rooms to non lit ones. Altho I'm not sure if its because im color blind or maybe because the darkness and brightness of the non lits to the lits arent that far off. Oh ^^"
Hrmm, I was actually comparing to the original concept. "Lights Up!", is also a similar game. It is until now that I knew the name of the original game is, which is, Lights Out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lights_Out_(game) ^^"
If I knew sooner I could have replace all the "Lights Up!",  to "Light Out". I'm comparing it to the gameplay, so it wont change anything except the name.

Thanks for the replies. :D

Offline x711Li

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 04:06:50 AM »
@B12Core: Holy ****, how could I forget that! I know this game got motion support. I really knew that! >_< Dang but I forgot to put it. I'll edit up the review, its pretty major. For that it flanks out DawnSeekers for the top1. If Dr. Neo says it isnt allowed, mods please revert it to the original version. I will not edit the my other review threads just to make sure, if i did break the rules. >_< Anyway, thanks B12.

It's still September 5th, should be no problem ^^

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 04:08:02 AM »
Quote from: soulanger
...Who? o_o

It's just my observation that many people can't take a review from another finite being. A lot of people take it too personal. I suggest we accept the reviews in light of the (real) people who write them, while presenting errors in a professional manner (e.g. B12Core). That's all.

Quote from: soulanger
Alot of people are color blind also

Actually my uncle is too.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline arrpirate

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 04:59:50 AM »
My goal was not to clone Tetris. I only included the features I liked (for example, I don't like it when bricks 'push off' from walls, like what happens in certain games when you rotate a block) and my goal was never to include ALL features in any other tetris game, even the official one. To knock off points because of that or because of me not including features you liked in other games is wholly wrong.

As for being color blind, well, sometimes you have to deal with it. I'm deaf and yet I get points knocked off by some reviewers because I didn't include lots of sound effects or music for Lights Off!.

Offline Kasumi

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 12:24:49 PM »
All tetris games I've come across have this feature.

Not Tetris for Game Boy. Or Tetris for NES. They don't allow sliding tricks. And considering your game lacks a hard drop and wall kicks, I'd think that would be the style of game you're going for.

Edit: I prepared a three diagrams for you, since technically it LOOKS like the Game Boy and NES Tetris support sliding. The reason for this is that the blocks don't fall down smoothly. They go cell by cell. But code wise, the blocks are going pixel by pixel. That's how the falling is "timed". Look at this gif which shows how NES Tetris behaves. On the right it shows how things look. On the right is shows how things are done.

You'll notice that even though the left block is "touching" the bottom, it is still free to move because the right block has not hit the bottom yet. If this was not the case, it would be as if the block fell two cells instead of one when it touched the stack. This is NOT lock delay and no sliding is occurring. Only the block on the right matters. That might lead you to another observation. "Why don't let they us see it the way it is? That's dumb." The next gif should explain that. And it has to do with a move that looks like a slide. (but is not). Once again, the piece on the right is the way things are. On the left is the way things look. I added a pause where the piece "slides" in.

Notice how strange that looks on the right? The pieces are overlapping. That's why it's not displayed this way. Again no slide has occurred. The piece was just moved left before it actually touched the ground.

The next gif shows how Tetris for NES behaves and how your game behaves in one situation. I reported this as a bug in my own review, and I stand by that. The left two spaces are how Tetris NES behaves. The right two spaces are how your game seems to behave. I put a pause where lock delay begins for your game. Keep in mind Tetris NES does not have lock delay, so while the first t piece in your game's field is still active, another block is given to the spaces on the left. Both games get the same input for clarity.

This is what I meant in my review by you can lock a block in the air. This should not be possible. It should lock one block lower than it does in the gif. (And sometimes this DOES happen. But if you constantly "float" a block over a space, occasionally it will lock in the air like that. )

I also recommend checking out this link: http://www.tetrisconcept.net/wiki/Lock_delay and reading some of the wiki there.

If you want lock delay with Game Boy or NES rotation, and no hard drop or wall kicks that's fine. I'm just pointing out the fact that actual sliding is not possible in old Tetris games. One last thing, is that games that DO have lock delay usually have a way to cancel it and lock the piece so you don't have to wait for it every single time when you already have the piece in the right place. If you choose not to have that for your game, I agree it's your choice not to have such a mechanic, but it makes it less appealing to me.

I apologize soulanger for posting this here, but I am a big Tetris fan and I felt the need to cover this. If you dislike this, I will remove them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:19:42 PM by Kasumi »

Offline arrpirate

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 08:36:21 PM »
Actually, it should be quite impossible to 'lock in thin air' in my game. See, I have each block checking for a downward collision of any piece of the block at every frame. It also checks for a downward collision just before it locks into place. It resets the stick timer every time there is no downward collision.

I chose to do it cell by cell rather than pixel by pixel because that's the way I saw as the most efficient way of doing things with my code. As such, it is necessary to have a stick timer, for if you don't, then you'll stick instantly.

I'm getting very irritated with people judging my game based on other tetris games. My goal was never to copy another tetris game but instead to make a tetris game that behaves in the way I like a tetris game to behave. I like it as it is. I like how blocks slide. I like how blocks fall. I like everything about it.

The only bug I think is an actual bug I'll be fixing in the next release is the garbage mode. For some reason, I forgot to clear the garbage creation variable in my tetris class' constructor. It's a very simple fix, but for that reason if you play Garbage, then go back to the main menu, garbage mode no longer works. You have to reset the game.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:44:53 PM by arrpirate »

Offline soulanger

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 09:28:24 PM »
I apologize soulanger for posting this here, but I am a big Tetris fan and I felt the need to cover this. If you dislike this, I will remove them.
Thats one damn interesting post kasumi. :D
I love how explained it. So thats why it felt a different.
Like you im a fan of tetris, but after reading that. It looks like I have a long way to go. Right now I feel like a fighting game fan who doesnt know hitboxes. o_o

@arrpirate: I'm sorry but thats how all reviews go. :( Most people are proud and satisfied to what they have made. There was this homebrew release thread, that you know of. The author also tried to defend it, sadly not everyone who commented wasnt the audience he was aiming for. That was the purpose why I made this review system. I thought your game was aimed for tetris fans. Sorry if you think, I was wrong. :(

Edit:
@Kasumi: Oh I forgot to tell you, but have you tried this really really good tetris homebrew game, which is based from TGM3? Its named right from the bat, ^^" its called Tetris Grand Master 3 DS / TGM3DS. Its very similar to the original, infact the japanese author who made it was forced to remove the link from his site. Go google it, its very very excellent.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:39:37 PM by soulanger »

Offline arrpirate

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 09:59:19 PM »
There is a difference between tetris fans enjoying my game and people going 'omg, your game sucks, because it doesn't behave exactly like this other tetris game I like!'

Offline soulanger

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »
Just to defend me and fellow reviewers, this is just how it goes. :(
And I never said it sucks. You already know how much I love the music, the name, etc. If you you like it but others dont, live your life. We just tried to be detailed with our reviews. Please dont exaggerate and make your self sound like a sour grape. :( Well I actually like the taste of sour food. :P But that's besides the point. ^^" PUNCHLINE~ XD
and dont make the reviewers are sounds like they are all wrong. If you really think we are all wrong, do what I do and go to another site with a release thread with your games. I did remember correctly that alot of people dislike MENUdo here at neoflash. It was reviewed badly at 2008's demo and quite recently my 2009's tint releases, and you know that.  But  it turns out it had AMMAZING comments and receptions from  other sites such as GBAtemp and DCemu (thank you guys). As far as I know even tho I got a 0/10 from most reviewers last year, even after a year MENUdo is still in progress and is near completion. :)

Offline x711Li

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »
Operation Libra

Concept 9/10
A point and click adventure game, where the idea is to escape the room. A typical foundation of the genre, and like all adventure games this one has puzzle elements into it. Not everybody likes adventure games, but fans do know that it's all about the story and execution of concept.

Presentation 8/10
A grainy yet stylish kind of art. It has that adventure game, standard feel. Which may not be loved by all.

Execution 10/10
Very impressive. I'm quite fascinated with this game. The both the story and puzzles of the game is quite amazing. There are not much stuff to complain about it. It's a well executed game, which can be easily compared to other adventure game classics. It's pretty hard to review a game which primary focuses on both story and puzzles. Saying a lot might spoil the fun.

Overall 9/10
A lot of effort and love was given to this game. This game is certainly, a gem in both the Adventure Game and Homebrew community. I may not appeal to all but to those who love adventure games this is a must play.

Motion Supported .5
Original entry .5

Final Score 9.5/11 Try It!

http://tinyurl.com/NEOLIBRA

uh, 9 + .5 + .5 != 9.5. Just a heads up.

Offline soulanger

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 10:47:51 PM »
Woops. O_o thanks for showing that. ^^"
Now let me divide it by zero. :P

Offline arrpirate

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 11:05:43 PM »
No, I'm not upset that you didn't like some aspects of my game. If you pay attention, what I am upset about is poor reviewing. Do not mark my game down because it doesn't exactly copy another game you like. It's not fair to me and it is bad reviewing.

Offline x711Li

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 11:11:03 PM »
No, I'm not upset that you didn't like some aspects of my game. If you pay attention, what I am upset about is poor reviewing. Do not mark my game down because it doesn't exactly copy another game you like. It's not fair to me and it is bad reviewing.

Heather, I think they mean to say that it contains features included in Tetris and therefore feel that you are in some way cloning it?