Author Topic: Kasumi's NDS Game Reviews  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Kasumi

Kasumi's NDS Game Reviews
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
Kasumi's NDS Game Reviews

What was most important to me was how the games played. This being the case, rather than have a lot of categories worth an equal amount of points, I'm going to have an overall score that takes up the biggest percentage of points, and will only be judging graphics separately for a very small boost in points. Some may disagree with this method, but hopefully the descriptions I write show why I feel the way I do.

I don't care if a game has bad graphics and no sound, as long as I had some real FUN with it. I also don't care if a game is incomplete, as long as it is impressive to me. All games were tested on a DS Lite with a CycloDS with the latest firmware. Four games did not boot on my DS. This did not affect their score. One game did not work on an emulator either. I could not judge this game.

DronS v1.6
Original Entry: 2.5/2.5
Self-Explanatory
Supports The Neo Motion: 2.5/2.5
Self-Explanatory
Graphics: 3/5
While the graphics are not complicated, they serve their purpose well.
Overall: 35/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 43/50

I played a game like this a long while ago, and greatly enjoyed it. In all honestly, I'm not too happy having it in the top spot, but unlike some of the other games I played, I could not find any real glitches in it. When you start the game you're greeted with a simple menu and a demo of gameplay on the top screen.

You can configure pretty much everything, and you can see your configuration's effects immediately after changing them in the demo on the top screen. One thing that is poorly presented is in menus that scroll, when you switch options the menu flashes black each time you move. Upon selecting single player, you're given a choice to add CPUs, and start the game. If you hit yourself or your opponent's tail you lose. It's simple, but it's well done, and I had a lot of fun playing online against ;Matt;. I could not find any glitches and most important, I like it enough to keep it on my flash card and continue to play it.

If I had to suggest anything, it would be a way to take away CPUs before starting the game. I'd also like it if the game kept track of your wins online. I also wouldn't mind some kind of customization for online games. Like being able to host a game so you could throw 1 or 2 CPUs in when there's only one other person playing, or change some other options.

Seek And Recharge
Self-Explanatory
Supports The Neo Motion: 0/2.5
Self-Explanatory
They serve their purpose.
Overall: 35/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 40.5/50

I like this game a lot. It has an original concept as far as I know. You guide a robot to his batteries while traveling across a changing background. If the robot touches a square that's the same color he is, you lose.

The ability to make custom maps is nice, but I would have liked a built in editor better. When you start it, you get a menu. The music is very, very repetitive. I kept the volume down while playing. The gameplay is simple, but original, and well implemented. There are a LOT of levels to puzzle your way though and most important to me, I couldn't get this game to glitch up. I don't really have anything bad to say about the game except its music. At the beginning, the game seems very hard, but as you get used to it, you'll find yourself solving the puzzles much quicker. The game uses both screens well, by showing where the robot can safely move on one screen, and the playfield and how it will change on the bottom screen. Honestly, there's not a lot to say. It's a well put together puzzle game.

I really like the Endless mode. It doesn't seem to save a high score from it, though. I'm curious what happens when you run out of moves on it, but I haven't survived long enough to find out.

My suggestions are saving a high score for endless mode and to consider having a top down view, rather than an isometric view. I think it hurts the game. At the very least I would put a flashing icon where the robot is on the Square overview map.  I found myself using it a lot more than the isometric view, as down sends me to down-left in isometric, and I'd rather not think my way through that while also solving the puzzles. I don't like four direction controls for isometric games. This will definitely stay on my flash card though.

DawnSeekers
Self-Explanatory
Supports The Neo Motion: 0/2.5
Self-Explanatory
Graphics: 4/5
There is some Z-fighting in the game, and the skins of the enemies and scientists is not very appealing. The map textures are excellent.
Overall: 32/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 38.5/50

I was very excited to try this game. I started it and was almost very upset when all I got was a white screen. It stayed there for probably about two minutes. Then the game started loading. Luckily this only happened once, and the game booted quickly from that point on. However, the loading times for the levels are still quite long.

This game is an FPS. Shoot bad guys, and get to the end of the level. Simple enough. As for actual gameplay, there are a few flaws. The first is pausing. After you pause the game, you cannot unpause by pressing start again. You have to press A. While this is not that bad by itself, it is pretty annoying when coupled with select opening doors. If you accidentally press start instead of select, you have to move your hand back to A, then back down to select. It's not a big hassle, but it was a little irritating the few times it happened to me.

The enemy AI is not so good. The enemies appear to be able to walk through some walls, and they can definitely walk through doors. (I have a way to get an enemy to walk through a wall consistently, but I didn't take note of exactly where it is. It happens when shooting an enemy in the second level from a high position. I'll make a video later if that info will be useful to the developers) While these things aren't much of a problem, enemies can also shoot you through doors and walls. I can't hide inside a hallway with a door because enemies just shoot through the walls and doors.

I found myself confused as to what areas I should and should not be able to get to in the first map. Am I supposed to be able to stand up here?

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9933/dsc00013ym.jpg

I also found a way to escape the map and fall forever. I DID take pics for this one. It's possible to get past the fence by the satellite dish in the above picture by going to the left side of it that's touching the slopes that box the map in (as seen in the picture above) and  traveling forward and up. You also have to look up a bit with the touchscreen. After that you can walk completely up that slope and out of the bounds of the map. Here's a picture of me falling through the map.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5798/dsc00014g.jpg

And here's me after I've fallen through the map.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9233/dsc00017g.jpg

Edit: Here's a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP2KWLjlPvs

I also found a graphical glitch in the second map, right near the start. If you stand in this corner:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5806/dsc00018hw.jpg

And walk backwards into the wall a majority of the level's walls disappear. You can even see the enemies you didn't kill.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/686/dsc00019hm.jpg

At this point you may be asking, "Well Kasumi. If this game had glitches like this, why did you let it get so high in the rankings?" The answer... is because I found glitches and strange behavior in a lot of the games. And I understand it is quite difficult to test a game like this.

Glitches aside, this game just impresses me. It's still in its early phases, but what is complete is very polished. It's worth playing through a few times. I can't wait to see the new weapons and plot for this game. I'd also like to say I hate the music in the first map. The music in the second map is good. I'll keep this on my flash card so I can show people what homebrew is capable of.

Operation Libra
Self-Explanatory
Supports The Neo Motion: 2.5/2.5
Self-Explanatory
I'm not a fan of the art. It works well enough, but I think it could be better.
Overall: 30/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 38/50

I really, really wanted this game to be put in the top three. But this game has two game breaking glitches, and one graphical one. I cannot ignore that.

This is an escape the room type game. The object is to get out of a mansion after being kidnapped. Upon starting the game you're greeted with the options to start a new game, or continue. If you start a new game and press A, this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCa-Bb3T_Fw

The text is overlaid on the first map, and you can't read it. The intro (when viewed normally) sets the game up nicely, and I like the music that plays there. However, once the intro ends, the music that plays for the rest of the game is very repetitive. The game play is pretty nice, though I dislike the use of Phoenix Wright sound effects instead of original ones.  Essentially you walk around rooms, check furniture, and use objects to try and find your way out of the mansion. Without spoiling, I actually found the puzzles quite well done, and I only thought one object was WAY too conveniently placed for our heroine. With a bit of thinking (and perhaps a quick google for those who don't play an instrument) the game can be beaten. Nothing is a HUGE stretch, but it also provides enough challenge that you can't breeze through it without the walkthrough. I liked the game, and the DS is the PERFECT platform for games like this. However... I never got to see the end of this game. This is what happens when I try. (Spoilers I suppose. Read the video description for details)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rm4wyvkE5k

The second glitch is repeatable in any room, and works on an emulator as well. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQWhDhRLHcU

This is a pretty good game, it just needs better music and these glitches fixed. I really wish I could have seen the ending and gave it a better score. I don't think it'll stay on my flash card.

Bouncy Marble v2
Original Entry: 0/2.5
Self-Explanatory
Supports The Neo Motion:0/2.5
Self-Explanatory
Graphics: 2/5
They're inconsistent, and not very good.
Overall: 29/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 31/50

I had a lot of fun with this game. The object is to bounce a ball as high as possible to get a high score. I was actually laughing out loud while playing it. I don't know why. The ability to save, download, and view replays online is very impressive. The replays even come complete with play control. The graphics are the worst part about the game. The with music version freezes for a half second when loading a new song which can REALLY mess with timing. No points for the music, since it's not original. I really like the way the game controls. Bouncing the ball and thinking my way through how to use the walls to get a higher height is pretty fun. I wish I could get higher in the online rankings.

The star effects when jumping high are a good idea, but I don't like the graphics for them. This will definitely stay on my flash card. I don't have any suggestions really, except to improve the graphics.

Star Grazer
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
Graphics are inconsistent. The ship sprites have no outlines, the enemies do. And does the first boss use Kracko-from-Kirby's eye?
Overall: 25/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 29.5/50

This is kind of a generic shooter game. The enemies AI is not very good, and it's not much fun to play because of that. The background loops poorly. It has okay music though. This game won't stay on my flash card.

My suggestions: Keep working on it. Add more bosses, and work on the AI a little. Think of ways to innovate the genre. It's kind of generic right now.

Alien Puzzle
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
There's only one tile for the walls. It would be cool to at least see some animation with the teleports.
Overall: 24.5/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 29/50

I enjoyed it, but it's very short. I tried to create a custom level using the built in specifications (only 60 walls, only 60 points, etc). When I loaded the level if gave me a sprite ID out of range error, and crashed. That either means I miscounted, the specifications are wrong, or there's some other glitch. Either way, it's not very fun trying to keep track of all the objects by counting. A built in editor that tells you when you've met the limit would be better. The game play is original, but it's pretty easy to get all the points in the levels without dying.

My Suggestions: I think a difficulty setting that allows for faster moving speeds would be better. The game also needs more levels, and better graphics. Perhaps more different kinds of objects so the gameplay doesn't end up repetitive.

You Have To Burn The Rope DS
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
The ones from the game are fine, but the ones you made yourself are not too good...
Overall: 18/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 23.5/50

I'm a big fan of the original game, and I was looking for a way to play it on DS. For those of you not familiar with the game, it's basically a REALLY short game that was made as a statement to intrusive in game help, and some other things. I played an earlier version of this when it had lots of graphical glitches after restarting. I am pleased that those are fixed, however, there are other glitches.

If you are walking, pause the game, and unpause with the d-pad still held down, the animations of the character stop playing. If you play with the 27 second timer enabled the timer counts down past zero, goes to -32 then loops back to 27. If you hold A after shooting the pistol or throwing an ax, the animation for the character stops. The automatic shooting mod doesn't play the animations for the weapons. The mods and achievements are nice touches, but one time I used the 2x speed mod and got stuck inside the floor.

I'll keep it on my flash card as a way to introduce people to You Have To Burn The Rope, but it's not the best implementation of it.

DSDice
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
Graphics: 5/5
Really, really, nice GUI. Really nice menu. The dice could be animated, but that's not really a problem.
Overall: 17/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 24.5/50

A good game, if you like Yahtzee. The point of the game is to get a high score by matching dice rolls the categories that will get you the highest score. This game didn't work on my DS. I kind of wish I did, since I wouldn't mind pulling it out on the go sometimes. I've actually never played Yahtzee before, so this was all new to me. The graphics are nice, and there's a comprehensive in game help, but... there's nothing that really draws me into it. I'd guess some of the fun of Yahtzee is playing with friends and yelling YAHTZEE and having fun. I didn't have much fun with this. I don't know how I'd improve it, but that's why it's placed so low.

Lights Off!
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
Simple, but they serve their purpose.
Overall: 17/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 23.5/50

I like this game. It's simple, but it does its job. the object is to turn off all the lights. Tapping a light flips the light you tapped and the ones to the left, right, above, and below the light you tapped. There are a few options to mess with that change the difficulty and if the lights on the walls will flip lights on the opposite sides of the wall.

Messing with any options instantly gets rid of the puzzle you're working on, so if you accidentally touch the options panel in the middle of a puzzle, you'll lose it forever. Curiously, it does not reset your move counter. The only way to reset the move counter is to solve a puzzle. There is no indication that the puzzle has been solved, other than the move counter being reset. You're simply given a new puzzle.  This game will probably stay on my flash card for bored moments.

My suggestions: Reset the move counter upon changing to a new puzzle. Allow the player to restart the current puzzle. When the player solves the puzzle let them know how close to par they were.

OMG WTF
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
Simple, but they serve their purpose. Each block having a unique color might have helped.
Overall: 14/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 19.5/50

I was excited to see a Tetris game in the mix. I REALLY like Tetris, and play the fast paced Tetris Grandmaster series, and many other Tetris games. I didn't care much for this one though. This game didn't work on my DS. I got it working on an emulator.

The first thing I noticed after starting up a game of traditional was the game has a nonstandard well size. Most Tetris games are 10 x 20 cells wide. This game is 14 x 23. Now, some recent Tetris games (like Tetris DS) have what's called  a "vanish zone" above the visible 10 x 20 well where pieces spawn, but this game has pieces spawn above the visible well, AND the visible well is taller. Those are all "fun" Tetris facts though, and did not affect the game's score.

The absolute BIGGEST problem with this game are the rotations. The first rotation of each piece is usually bugged. If I press A (rotate right) sometimes it will rotate left. That means that sometimes pressing A twice will bring the piece back exactly where it started. The same thing happens with B (rotate left). Occasionally the first rotation of a piece will rotate it 180 degrees. (Or two presses of either button) and then have normal rotations. Basically you can't predictably rotate pieces in the beginning and have to focus much more on that than you'd have to in any other Tetris game.

The next problem is the speed of the game. Now, I'm used to a Tetris game where the pieces start at the bottom (they fall 20 cells in one frame), but I understand that's not everyone's style. I was not about to punish this game for not getting that fast. But... as you can see in the screenshot I played for an hour, and got to level 20. And it only felt a LITTLE bit faster. The game is pretty much indefinitely sustainable. Even in the other modes that start at speed 90, it's not that fast. Tetris isn't very fun for me when there's no speed challenge.

Another problem is that the interface doesn't ever change on the right. On clear limit mode, it should tell you how many lines are left. On time limit the time should count down from five minutes. Garbage mode is probably the most innovative of the modes, but I didn't appreciate it that much due to the problems above.

This game seems to emulator older Tetris games, so I don't mind that it lacks  a hard drop. (Up on Tetris DS). What bothers me is that the pieces have a lock delay you can't stop in any way. (Lock delay is the time is takes from when your pieces touches the stack, to when it locks) If I'm soft dropping a piece, I know where I want to place it. But it hits the stack and I have to wait for it to lock, which makes the game VERY slow paced. And the game doesn't even get fast enough to NEED a lock delay.

A small glitch: It's possible to lock a piece in the air. If you have an S or a Z piece and you have it vertically positioned above a hole one cell wide. If you move it over the hole and back to touching the stack, it's possible the lock delay will lock it floating in the air. Even if that's intended, no other Tetris games do it that way.

My Suggestions: I made some suggestions above. The best suggestion I can make is study some other Tetris games. Maybe the Grandmaster series. Or Tetris DS. Or even the Game Boy or NES Tetrises if you're going for the classic gameplay.

Around the Clock
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
Graphics: 1/5
I honestly had trouble reading the numbers on the dartboard. Which is kind of important.
Overall: 12/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 15.5/50

This game did not work on my DS. It also wasn't very fun. It worked well enough, but I didn't enjoy it. As stated above, I had trouble reading the dartboard numbers since some of them look like other numbers. The music is good though.

Hangman
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
The graphics aren't bad for what little you had to work with.
Overall: 10/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 15.5/50

This is a simple game of Hangman. Guess letters and try to figure out the phrase before you are hanged.

The keyboard is a bit small. I played until I got all the words except blas-h. I failed it, it refilled the keyboard's letters, but didn't display another phrase. I couldn't do anything more.

My Suggestions: Either have it tell you what the word or phrase is when you're wrong, or have it remember what letters have been guessed next time the same word or phrase is displayed. Also have some kind of "You Win!" screen when everything has been guessed.

Touch Right! - Featuring Terra the Pessimist!
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
The graphics aren't bad, but they're not amazing.
Overall: 2/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 7.5/50

This is a game where an evil computer voice gives you math problems you have to solve quickly in your head, and then touch the screen with the same number of fingers as the answer. I was not too thrilled about touching the screen with something other than the stylus. As well, I only got it to recognize a multitouch ONCE! It'd probably be pretty neat if I could get it work, but I couldn't.

My suggestions: After you're failed it says, "Be Ready or Die!" and then displays the fail screen. It should skip the "Be Ready or Die" since there's no need to be ready, as a new problem won't be displayed.

Xplosive Combat
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
Decent graphics, nice parallax clouds
Overall: 1/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 7.5/50

This is a game that would be a space shooter. But... there's next to no game to actually play. I have to make the only enemy in the game shoot at me. The music and sound effects are nice, but there's no game here.

My Suggestions: Keep working on it. And some words or graphics to the pause screen. Both screens turn completely black upon pausing, which make it look like the game crashed or froze or something.

Edit: It never occurred to me that this game doesn't use the right splash screen, but since its place is so low here, I don't think it matters.

25 Error
Self-Explanatory
Self-Explanatory
Graphics: 1/5
All I really saw was the menu
Overall: 0/40
See Full Review Below
Total: 3.5/50

I could not get this game to work on an emulator or my DS. I started it on my DS. I choose right handed. Upon clicking Credit, the game displayed Attack and Arcade. I was unable to do anything else. I restarted. I tapped score. I was unable to do anything after that. I restarted. I tapped option. The game says "ready" and I cannot do anything.

That concludes my reviews. I was gonna add screenshots and things, but I'm out of time. Hopefully the few videos make up for it though.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:59:05 AM by Kasumi »

Offline x711Li

Re: Kasumi's NDS Game Reviews
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »
Thanks for the review!

Those glitches were found after the deadline was over, sadly. However, I do hope you should be able to play through the game at least once (to the end), just so I could get any more feedback on the game? Any other comments are welcome, as always.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 02:36:40 PM by B12Core »

Offline Kasumi

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 03:29:10 PM »
I just realized I never tried it on an emulator. It doesn't do that on no$GBA, does it? Or is there a new version out that I can play? I'm about to try it in no$, and if it works, I'll feel kinda bad about the score I gave you. I didn't punish games that didn't work at ALL on DS, so it'd make me unhappy if the end part of the game works on an emulator and it affected your score. I just honestly never thought to try it on the emulator.

If so I apologize in advance. Thanks for taking the review so coolly by the way.

edit: After playing through in no$gba I encountered another bug. I think it happened to me on DS as well, but I thought I did something else wrong. Something's wrong with the number pad. If you check it before you know the code, and enter nothing, then go back when you know the code, you can only enter 3 numbers. And then when you close it and try it again, it won't let you enter anything and the door stay locked. Gotta restart again. That may not be EXACTLY how to make it happen, but there's definitely a problem. I'll try to find an easily repeatable way to make it happen so you can fix it more easily.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:43:41 PM by Kasumi »

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 04:09:04 PM »
Thanks for the review.
It's true that I kind of rushed the demo, and it is very bugged.  ~sm-40.gif~
Thanks for making such a detailed list of them. It could have been very helpful, but since I already know about all of them, not really.  8) But it's the intention that counts !  :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:12:00 PM by smealum »

Offline Kasumi

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »
Hah. Fair enough. Thank you for responding coolly as well. I can't wait for future versions.

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 04:12:08 PM »
Oh, there is one thing though. For the doors, you say using select is annoying, which i understand... but you can also use the touch screen. There's a button in the lower right corner of the touch screen interface which serves the same purpose as select. So you might want to modify that.
Also, this doesn't change the results in any way, but  DronS isn't an original entry.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:33:55 PM by smealum »

Offline samel

• SpaghettiDSDev
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 05:25:07 PM »
Very very good, a review from someone who take all the game, try them and try them monkey style to find bug  ~sm-37.gif~ .

Thanks for the very good comment, i'll remember that iso-view are not good for puzzle game  ~sm-45.gif~
--
Samel
"Close the world, txen eht nepo!"
"You will never break my mind!"

Offline soulanger

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:05:56 PM »
Wow those are some great reviews. :D I'm not sure if I could win now. Not like my reviews are actually great and all ^^" You really know the technical side of the game, like to tetris's general gameplay, and DawnSeeker's Z-fighting. (which is quite the case if not all, then most of 3d DS games) A fun review because of its depth. I actually read them all.  :-*

Very very good, a review from someone who take all the game, try them and try them monkey style to find bug  ~sm-37.gif~ .

Thanks for the very good comment, i'll remember that iso-view are not good for puzzle game  ~sm-45.gif~
Again I am sorry if you think my system, isnt that very good.
I did find some bugs as well, but if the bugs are minor, forgettable, and few, I wouldnt post them. Itll just make the game look buggy and worse than it was intended to be. Sorry, but I'm just trying to defend my system. I can edit this out if you want Kasumi. ^^"

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 12:58:45 AM »
Quote from: Kasumi
This game didn't work on my DS

Did you try Chism's loader (e.g. dskiosk or DSision)? You might try it for the other games also; it almost never fails for me.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline samel

• SpaghettiDSDev
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 01:59:51 AM »
Again I am sorry if you think my system, isnt that very good.
I did find some bugs as well, but if the bugs are minor, forgettable, and few, I wouldnt post them. Itll just make the game look buggy and worse than it was intended to be. Sorry, but I'm just trying to defend my system. I can edit this out if you want Kasumi. ^^"
It's ok it's ok, i understand your system it was not intended for you

sorry :(
--
Samel
"Close the world, txen eht nepo!"
"You will never break my mind!"

Offline Kasumi

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 03:36:27 AM »
Smealum: I won't edit the post now that the deadline has passed, but I did not know that I could use the touch screen to open door. I am still not a fan of the pause behavior though, but it does matter less with that as an option.

Samael: Thank you. I tried to give each game as much time as possible.

soulanger: Hah. No need.

M. Lucanius: Dsision doesn't boot, and dskiosk boots, but doesn't boot the games that didn't work. Thanks for the tips though, and I am open to try other things.

Offline soulanger

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 03:55:10 AM »
The funny thing is, I did not know you would could use select in DawnSeeker. XD I use the one on the touchscreen. ^^"