Author Topic: Several Missing Features  (Read 4078 times)

Offline panzeroceania

Several Missing Features
« on: March 04, 2010, 06:08:45 PM »
First off I would like to say I love your hardware and your software.

There are several things I would like to request be added to your program.

1. Your program will correctly burn the filetype .MD but it doesn't recognize it as a regular type, which means I have to select the option "all file types" every time. This seems a bit odd as .MD is the standard NoIntro filetype for megadrive games

2. The MegaDrive/Genesis game "Wonder Boy in Monster World" Both the USA release and the Japanese release, start into the title screen, and will go to attract mode, but if you press start on the start screen, it won't load the next menu but instead will stay on the Title Screen forever.

This makes it so the game cannot be played, this is one of my favorite genesis games and was wondering if you could fix this problem. Or to see if you are having this problem too. All other games from all regions are working, so I don't think it's user error but I could be wrong.

Let me know what your testing shows.

3. Please allow Master System Controllers to be able to Control the Mega Drive Menu, as it is I must load a Master System game with a Mega Drive controller and then change to a Master System controller when I want to play with it. If I could control the menu with the Master System controllers it would be much easier.

4. It would be great if you would allow the Player 2 Controller to control the Mega Drive menu also, instead of just the Player 1 Controller.

5. In Master System games when I try to use the FM chip mode, it plays no audio instead and I only hear sound effects. Also I remember when I first got the cart the FM Mode seemed to work but there was always a mild hum in the background of the audio.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:11:06 PM by panzeroceania »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: Several Missing Features
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:17:36 AM »
".MD" isn't a standard that I've ever seen. Never even seen a file named that way. Just rename them to ".bin". THAT is a standard.
 :D

About the Wonder Boy problem - are you using one of the old MD menus? (does it show only one game at a time)  Make sure you use the latest software. There's a sticky thread in this forum with links to the latest versions.

The SMS pad issue has already been fixed in the latest menu (well, other than you are currently stuck on only the flash browser).

I'll add using either controller to the next update of the menu (as well as improve the SMS pad support).

If you have access to another MD, try the FM on it. If it works, you have a problem with your MD. If not, the problem is with the Neo Myth. You can't test that on a Nomad for two reasons: first, the Nomad needs to be modded to play SMS games (had that mod done on my Nomad recently); and second, the Nomad doesn't have the audio in from the cart which the FM uses, so you don't get FM even if your Nomad is modded to play SMS games.

Offline panzeroceania

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:01:24 AM »
".MD" isn't a standard that I've ever seen. Never even seen a file named that way. Just rename them to ".bin". THAT is a standard.
 :D

About the Wonder Boy problem - are you using one of the old MD menus? (does it show only one game at a time)  Make sure you use the latest software. There's a sticky thread in this forum with links to the latest versions.

The SMS pad issue has already been fixed in the latest menu (well, other than you are currently stuck on only the flash browser).

I'll add using either controller to the next update of the menu (as well as improve the SMS pad support).

If you have access to another MD, try the FM on it. If it works, you have a problem with your MD. If not, the problem is with the Neo Myth. You can't test that on a Nomad for two reasons: first, the Nomad needs to be modded to play SMS games (had that mod done on my Nomad recently); and second, the Nomad doesn't have the audio in from the cart which the FM uses, so you don't get FM even if your Nomad is modded to play SMS games.

thank you for the response, I figured the FM chip was likely a problem on my side, I will check it on another megadrive to see for sure but I understand there isn't much you can do about it.

As for the .MD the games work fine, I wouldn't bring it up, it's just the way the No Intro group set up their dat for dumping roms so it's what I use as they can verify cleanly dumped roms. It's better than using the Good Tools standard.

As for the Master System controllers I just saw that you posted a new beta menu a few days ago after I had posted here, so I will check that out, but I'm not using an old version of anything, I was using the latest of all three except this new beta that you have released. Do you think that will solve the problem? do you not have any problems with that game? I will try the new menu and if the problem persists I'll try to throw together a youtube of what I do and maybe you can assist from there.

also I don't mind using flash as I have no physical way to use the SD card at this time

My primary concern is getting Wonder Boy in Monster World for the Megadrive working, so I'll see if the new menu helps, thanks.

Offline madmonkey

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »
My primary concern is getting Wonder Boy in Monster World for the Megadrive working, so I'll see if the new menu helps, thanks.
if that's your only problem, do this:

1) get filter driver from here
http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net/#downloads
on vista and win7, you need to set compatibility mode with xp on installer executable. download->install.
2) get this app: new neo myth programmer, buggy beta
3) format the cart
4) replace menu with ChillyWilly dx menu NeoMythMenu Deluxe
5) add Wonder Boy in Monster World rom to the cart(only one rom can use eeprom, so make sure you add that first).
6) press burn button (steps 4-6 must be done in one session).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:21:06 PM by madmonkey »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:50:24 AM »
That "No Intro" group must be getting popular. However, if they were just going to make binaries, they should have just stuck to .bin. Oh well.

If you stick to the "official" writer, Neo2 Ultra Menu, get the latest (3.02). To change the MD menu, copy my MDBIOS.BIN file from my latest archive into the Neo2 Ultra Menu directory. Go to the Format tab and do a fast format. That will replace the menu with the MDBIOS.BIN file. Then if you have already, do a standard format so that all bad blocks in the flash get marked. Then you can add roms to the flash.

Note that Neo2 Ultra Menu cannot write the "deluxe" version of my menu to the flash. Only madmonkey's writer can do that. So if you are using the Neo2 Ultra Menu, I suggest using the 1.2b1 MD menu.

Offline King Of Chaos

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 04:51:32 AM »
The No-Intro set's quite popular actually - I use it as my main set now since it doesn't contain any hacks, bad dumps, etc.

Offline goldenegg

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »
Just to add a little more info about No-Intro.  The purpose of the group is to have 1:1 copies of the data existing on the original carts.  Not a single byte difference.  When using No-Intro roms, you're pretty much guaranteed the best quality dump possible.