Author Topic: Development Priority Discussion  (Read 2628 times)

Offline LPShred

Development Priority Discussion
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:00:50 AM »
I haven't really seen anything posted yet, so I thought I might bring it up here.  I think it would be a good idea for us to make a list of what developments need done and what priority they are.  The list could also show who is working on what.  A little bit of project management here could help things go a lot faster and make sure things get done.  It would help the team focus on the most important aspects first.  This would be a good thing for the wiki.  I've made a list of several of the tasks below and took a guess at what their importance is.

1. Speeding up rom burning process
2. NEO2 Menu Plugin for auto configuring save types/CIC/Patches
3. Fix Save Backup and Restore
4. SRAM wiping on new rom burn
5. Usability fixes for NEO2 menu
6. Myth SD Card Menu

What does everyone think of this priority list?  Also, if you're working on this, let me know and I'll mark you down.  This way people can see what is being worked on and what needs help.  It can also serve to guide people to the higher priority developments.

Offline Link83

Re: Development Priority Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:54:17 AM »
I think its a good idea  :)

However I think that the "Fix Save Backup and Restore" problem should be a much higher priority than speeding up the burning process, or making the menu select the correct save type automatically (by the way, the Neo Menu already configures/shows the correct CIC for each game)

Patches are only needed for approximately three or four games, and even then those games already work fine if you use the correct CIC chip.

It would probably help a lot if Dr.neo made the Neo2 Ultra Menu open source  ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:56:26 AM by Link83 »

Offline sven

• Neo MOD
    • the one starting with: "www." you'll find the rest.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:57:10 AM »
I think SD support with a decent menu would kill the need for faster rum burning.

SD support and and a menu to select games are linked to each other so could together be on the number 1 and the burning speed could benumber 2 as there will still be people with a neo-2 with only flash instead of a neo2-sd.

O hai

Offline KR155E

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 07:06:24 AM »
Actually, SD cart support would kill ALL other points on that list. ;) Well, at least for owners of a NEO2-SD. It should have top priority IMHO.

Offline Infrid

• rcp64::nintendo64 machine
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 09:14:45 PM »
I think that "Fix Save Backup and Restore" and "SRAM wiping on new rom burn" should be on top. indeed the flash card isn't complete without a stable support for saving data.

after that we can think how speed up the burning process (why the NeoUltraMenu source code isn't available?) and fix usability.

in short, here my priority list

1. SRAM wiping on new rom burn
2. Fix Save Backup and Restore
3. Speeding up rom burning process
4. Usability fixes for NEO2 menu
5. NEO2 Menu Plugin for auto configuring save types/CIC/Patches
6. Myth SD Card Menu
RCP64 :: Nintendo 64 Machine

Offline LPShred

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 01:45:50 AM »
Interesting discussion so far.  It looks to me like there are two groups: SD menu related stuff and everything else.  I agree with most that an SD menu would circumvent most of the problems listed above, but I think in the long run they need to be solved, especially if the N64 Myth is going to be bundled without an SD loader.  Another aspect is that the SD menu will probably take the longer to implement than the other fixes combined.  It seems like the NEO2 fixes are a lot closer to being realized.

To combine these two sentiments, I think the 80-20 rule would work best here.  To elaborate, you have 80% of your resources focused on the top 20% of your priories.  The other 20% of your resources works on the remaining 80% of the work.  In this situation we should focus most of our work on the NEO2 issues i.e. saves, sram wipe, plugin, burning, usability, and have only one or two people work on the SD loading.  This way the NEO2 stuff can get fixed rapidly and we can get a head start on the SD fixes.

For the most part, this looks like what is happening already, but I think we need to be a little more united on what the priorities are of this project and where to go in the future.

Also, I think opening the source for the NEO2 menu would be enormously helpful.  Dr. Neo if you read this, please release the source.  There are several people who have said they would devote the time to work on the application.  It would most likely get the fixes published faster which means better compatibility, functionality, usability, and ultimately sales.  It's a no brainer.