Author Topic: Testers(and not only!) dump thread  (Read 10100 times)

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Re: Testers(and not only!) dump thread
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 04:10:06 AM »

Links83 that's why we need a menu.The programmer cannot do these things.
By the way , great job with testing!! i hope all testers to be as active as you are!
 ::sm-08.gif:: ;D

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 05:24:43 AM »
Stefan_iro , please post here general questions & not in the testers thread.
Sorry for deleting your post , but the forum cannot move posts to existing threads.

And to answer your question : No the N64 Myth has no issues with 16K SRAM games.Just needs the menu.

Edit : I've send you a PM in case you missed this thread. ~sm-37.gif~
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:37:51 AM by Conle »

Offline Link83

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 06:47:22 AM »
Links83 that's why we need a menu.The programmer cannot do these things.
By the way , great job with testing!! i hope all testers to be as active as you are!
 ::sm-08.gif:: ;D
Thanks Conle  :) I will test it as best as I can!  ::sm-12.gif:: ::sm-22.gif::

Does the N64 Myth Cartridge already have an 'invisible' boot menu already installed by Dr.neo that makes all the other save types work? I only ask as I only seem to have problems with the 16Kbit EEPROM saves, all other save types already work fantastic  ;D So if there is no boot menu yet, how do all the other save types work? I hope you dont mind me asking.

I had thought that all saves types were backed up to the 2Mbit SRAM on the Neo2 cartridge and guessed that this might be done by either:-
- Patching the game to support SRAM instead of EEPROM/Flash, or
- Emulating the save type using the FPGA chip in the N64 Myth cartridge so that the game still thinks its saving to EEPROM/Flash.
(I hope that makes sense!)

Can you perhaps check if you can save a 16Kbit EEPROM? Perfect Dark is a good test subject because it comes up with a save error screen if there is a problem, and you dont have to watch a game opening sequence before saving.

16Kbit EEPROM support must be at least partially already working though because Banjo Tooie will not recognise any controllers if it does not find a 16Kbit EEPROM when booting:-
http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www.elitendo.com/n64/usa_boot_save_faq.html#btooie1
However, Banjo Tooie does recognise a controller once you select the 16Kbit EEPROM save type setting in the Neo2 Ultra Menu before burning, which means the game must think there is a 16Kbit EEPROM present even though it still wont save.

Also, maybe I am mistaken but I thought the Neo2 Ultra Menu program would be responsible for backing up and restoring save files, not the cartridge boot menu? (Unless the boot menu also runs on the cartridge when connected to the PC and interfaces with Neo2 Ultra Menu?)

Anyway, im sure neo team and coders will sort out this small problem soon!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:16:04 AM by Link83 »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:30 AM »
Does the N64 Myth Cartridge already have an 'invisible' boot menu already installed by Dr.neo that makes all the other save types work? I only ask as I only seem to have problems with the 16Kbit

No the current bios file is just a dummy 1Mb file with standard genesis/32X header.

Can you perhaps check if you can save a 16Kbit EEPROM? Perfect Dark is a good test subject because it comes up with a save error screen if there is a problem, and you dont have to watch a game opening sequence before saving.

It doesn't show any error , i just can't create a new profile and the list with the
"game notes" is disabled.

Do a standard format to the cart and try again.But yeah , the game
cannot be played of course , even if the save ram is cleaned up.

I had thought that all saves types were backed up to the 2Mbit SRAM on the Neo2 cartridge and guessed that this might be done by either:-
- Patching the game to support SRAM instead of EEPROM/Flash, or
- Emulating the save type using the FPGA chip in the N64 Myth cartridge so that the game still thinks its saving to EEPROM/Flash.
(I hope that makes sense!)

I'm not 100% sure how the myth programmer is writting the data to the cart,but
probably it must be similar with MD MYTH ->

[block N]
-The offset of the image
-The length of the image
-Save type and alloc
-NEO Run command
-more flags

[Next block]

I'll make a guess.As you can see the programmer allows you to set the "run mode"(Boot to menu/Run game).
At the moment the core is programmed to read the status of the on/off switch.

If the run mode is RUN GAME and switch is 0 , then load the block at #base offset,
otherwise it will load the block at  #base offset + length of #blobk.0.

If the run mode is "Boot menu" , it will launch the menu instead....But the menu which handles the sram and eeprom bank/s is missing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:00:39 AM by Conle »

Offline Infrid

• rcp64::nintendo64 machine
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »
I'm testing the flash cart right now. but why is so slow to burn? it takes about 10 minutes for 512mbit!
RCP64 :: Nintendo 64 Machine

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 11:52:20 PM »
I'm testing the flash cart right now. but why is so slow to burn? it takes about 10 minutes for 512mbit!

One of the reasons is (believe it or not!) the MFC text rendering. It can take over 60-100ms to update the surface(depends the machine of course) and when the app burns the rom byte by byte or using a very small chunk the total burn time increases alot!.

I hope that the text will be removed or i guess we will have to wait for the sd support. ::sm-26.gif::

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 01:53:29 AM »
One of the reasons is (believe it or not!) the MFC text rendering. It can take over 60-100ms to update the surface(depends the machine of course) and when the app burns the rom byte by byte or using a very small chunk the total burn time increases alot!.

I ran into that on the MD menu with just syncing the prints to the vertical blank.  ::sm-29.gif::

I hope that the text will be removed or i guess we will have to wait for the sd support. ::sm-26.gif::

I'll have to put more work into getting the speed as high as possible on the N64 given that games are so much bigger. 50 KB/sec is okay for the MD, but isn't so good for a 32MB N64 game.
 ???  ::sm-05::

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 02:07:47 AM »
The good thing is that N64's main processor runs at 94MHZ. That's at least 12times faster as md , so we could get 500-600KB/sec easily.

Also there is a co-processor clocked at 64MHZ.It might be possible to use both if they can run i separate thread.

An example , of how you can copy 64MB rom:

CPU0 copies at flash offset + 0 - 1MB
CPU1 copies at flash offset + 1 - 2MB.
CPU0 waits for CPU1 to finish the task.

That gives +30MHZ.

But im not sure how easy the cpus can co-operate and if you're allowed to write to the flash at specific addresses and not just in locked mode block-by-block.

If its completely address-locked then the 2nd cpu can be used for patches.

By the way , so far in the docs i haven't found much information on how to run 2 threads on separate cpus.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 02:13:03 AM »
The N64 can DMA ROM/SRAM space as well, so we should be able to get DMA speeds out of this. I was thinking of how I could DMA the nibbles from the SD card, then make a pass with the CPU to merge the nibbles. I'm hoping to get some GOOD speed from the SD cards with the N64.

Offline neo-diy

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 11:50:15 PM »
eep16k wrong questions to the v2 version of the fix by, v1 version of the
epp16k switch d9 just point cic 06 so only Yoshi Story to action

This is a reference table cic coot
cic-6101 = cic7102
cic-6102 = cic7101
cic-6103 = cic7103
cic-6105 = cic7105
cic-6106 = cic7106

Offline radorn

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »
I'd like to suggest something for the SD support.

I guess the public would want SD support to be like in DS and GBA carts. That is, with FAT support. But I'm strongly against this because this would impose the addition of a FAT filesystem reader running on the N64, which in my opinion is something to avoid since it could interfere with the game, slow speeds, and is also much more difficult to implement. Also, SD cards are sufficiently slow and have enough latency to be a proble just by themselves.

Instead of this, I would like that you'd go for an easier, more correct and compatible solution (from the side of the N64, not the PC, of course), which would be to use a "flat file system" in which ROMs, instead of being stored in FAT clusters, would just be a single big chunk of data lying on the SD card, just referenced by some simple table, and the menu software would only have to set the hardware so it offets reads on the N64 cart slot to the correct place on the SD card.

Storing ROMs on the card would be done with some extra program and not windows explorer, of course, but that's a minor problem for the advantage of not having a FAT filesystem (plus supporting code) running on the console.

That's my opinion anyway.
My report posts: N64
My new blog about N64 and the MYTH cart (just starting)

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 12:24:14 PM »
I don't think SD would be fast enough to run from directly.  If it's not fast enough then you'd have to copy from SD to flash (slow) or SD to RAM (only have 16Mbyte of RAM on the Neo SD).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:06:53 PM by Sektor »

Offline radorn

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 09:00:35 AM »
I have a problem with Body Harvest (U) [!] on NTSC console (PAL console shows region protection message).

I managed to play it and save at first.
I could even dump the save to PC and use it on an emulator, but it no longer works. I even tried full reformat on te neo2.
The save just doesn't show.
Also, most of the times I try to load the game it gives me a black screen and I have to reset/powercycle the console several times to get it to load properly.
It no longer accepts my save or even making a new one by playing normally.
The save is lost upon reset.
second ROM on the cart that I used, Blast Corps (U) (V1.0) [!] saves fine and loads everytime.

I even tried burning the same roms in reverse order and restoring the saves, and blast corps loaded fine while body harvest kept failing.

EDIT: European Body Harvest rom doesn't work on PAL console even.

There's definitelly something not working for body harvest.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:58:31 PM by radorn »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »
Body harvest PAL version works fine for me as long as i don't change the save type setting.

For some reason when i set the save type of some games manually they have issues.

Still , im not sure if its because im using MD MYTH cart/or external SL IV to burn the roms since the USB connector of my N64 Myth cart is broken.
 ::sm-02::

Also save backup/restore is not working at all.Im just getting a genesis header word swapped.
 ::sm-01::

Offline radorn

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 04:49:10 AM »
but how do you save then?
body harvest uses 4keeprom.

do you have to use a real 4k eeprom and overwrite it's save?