Author Topic: 2010 Neo Compo announcement  (Read 15769 times)

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
Re: 2010 Neo Compo announcement
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 07:50:59 AM »
[...] I competed previously because coming in in the top 10 meant I'd get at least something for my effort. [...]

Dr. Neo mentioned that there will still be 4-10 place prizes.

love the new emotes btw  ~sm-76.gif~.gif
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline teamsushi

• PSP Code Hog
    • Retro Emu
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »
I think this is a very bad idea.

Some issues:

1) it's not fair. The different possible platforms have different capabilities. It's not fair to judge a DS app against a PSP app. The DS has a touch screen, two screens, and has very limited hardware. The PSP is much more powerful.

[...]

3) Less incentive to compete. I competed previously because coming in in the top 10 meant I'd get at least something for my effort. As it is now, there's NO WAY anyone will win anything. There's typically about ten to 20 entries per category, previously there were 4 categories. That's between 40 to 80 entries... if the numbers stay the same, that means out of 40 to 80 people, only 3 win anything. That's a tremendous decrease in odds.

Well, if you make a memorable game, with excellent gameplay, it doesn't really matter what platform it is for.  I've competed in the minigames competition for retro consoles, and it is fine.  It is usually quite clear who's game is better, even with the widely varying platforms.  The same goes for the competition at PDRoms which is also multiplatform.  So a great NES game can really beat an okay PSP game.  ~sm-58.gif~.gif

The hardest part is always judging, and making sure that the judges can actually play the games for all of the permited platforms.  That's why the minigames compo has someone to support each platform I guess.  But on balance it isn't that important, as long as the released game has documentation on what is required to play it.  ~sm-93.gif~.gif

Well he is keeping items for #4 to #10.  But most people work for the top prizes.  And the value of top prizes seems to be going up on other sites, so this is a way to "compete", I guess.  So make your entry memorable.  Make it great. And then it can win.

HardHat is admin for
3D blog at http://www.teamsushi.org
PSP releases at http://www.adamcon.org/~dmwick/psp/

Offline sg57

• ...you'll never know what it's like...
    • SG57's Projects
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:57 AM »
Awesome  ::sm-29.gif::  Its neo-season!  I like the new rules Dr.Neo, I prefer annually since it gives more time to devote to a single project, plus competing against other consoles etc. makes it more fun, all around nice choice.

So yea, awesome, keep it up Dr.Neo - you da man  ~sm-46.gif~.gif

(p.s. omfg i love the smileys here....)
...you'll never know what it's like...
...spending your whole life in a dream...

Offline davidgf

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 03:37:23 AM »
The 20th August is the opening day or the closing one?
I'm interested on the opening day.

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 03:40:41 AM »
I think it's always open and the deadline/closing day is Aug 20th.