Author Topic: contest: NDS GAME - DrugWars DS - By: DragonMinded  (Read 6901 times)

Offline DragonMinded

contest: NDS GAME - DrugWars DS - By: DragonMinded
« on: August 11, 2005, 03:32:27 AM »
I am entering the NDS Game contest with my entry, DrugWars for DS.  It's a rather simple game that can get very addicting if you are not careful.

Description: This is a text rpg of sorts where you play a drug dealer who needs to make quick cash and pay off the loan shark.  I'm sure you are familiar with one or more of the versions for different platforms.

Buttons are almost self-explanatory, but the readme.txt file should have a good description of what each button does.

Special thanks to dovoto and dsboi of #dsdev for helping me learn the basics of DS Development and enabling me to get this game out!

More Screenshots:

Source is available, but not of the NeoFlash version.  Visit http://www.youngmx.com/ndsdev/ for more information.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 03:34:35 AM by DragonMinded »

Offline rize

Re: contest: NDS GAME - DrugWars DS - By: DragonMinded
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 02:22:57 AM »
I had a lot of fun with this one.  I made 11,100,669 bucks in just 30 days 8) first try.  I really liked the graphic style, it fit the atmosphere and text based gameplay perfectly.

Here's some improvements I'd like to see:

-B should take you to the travel screen from the city screen (B again would take you back to the city you were in if you chose not to travel).  You could also retain the ability to select travel from the menu.

-On the bank withdraw screen, at the bottom it says press A to "deposit" (instead of withdraw).  More importantly, only being able to deposit 1,000 for each frame you hold down the X (or is it Y?) button is very slow once you become a multimillionaire like myself  8)  Although honestly, with so many potential "investments", the 5% interest of the bank isn't a very good one (and man, that loan shark's interest rates are brutal).

-Overall it was a very pleasant experience with very little in the way of rough edges.  I'd like to see some more diversity in the gameplay though.  Other than the little diversions (getting mugged), it's just buy low, sell high really.

Offline DragonMinded

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 10:15:16 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, this is only the 1.0 version.  I know about the bank issue.  Before submitting, I added the +/- 1000 key.  Before, it was only +/- 100 and 20 :o!

The B to go back to travel sounds like a nice touch for a shortcut, I will consider it for a later release.  I do want to put more side options in and such, what else would people here like to see in it?

Offline rize

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 03:31:59 PM »
Hmm, well if you want to expand it a bit, I suppose it should be more complex, but you should have the tools to deal with the complexity.  Go into more detail.  If you're really a big time drug dealer, where do the supplies come from?  Who are you selling to?  It could get very complex if you wanted it to (and could end up a very different game).  Not sure how much work you want to do on it and how much you're willing to change it.

I'd like a better end game than just a limited number of days to see how much money you can make.  For example, the loan shark puts the pressure on.  You have to pay him off quick because the interest is so high.  Once you're free of that, you're on easy street just trying to get a high score.  Which feels great for a few days, but then you realize the game has sort of lost it's urgency.  Perhaps there should be other things to do with your money other than buy drugs.  Like maybe bribe cops, hire some thugs to rough someone up, that sort of thing.

Perhaps rival dealers should be a bigger factor.  Each city could have a rival dealer who might cause any number of problems.

Right now it's just like... buy as much as you can for a fixed price... (fixed for that day).  A real market has limits to supply.

So yeah, there's a bunch of ways you can take it.  I really enjoyed the presentation, so I'd like to see you go further with it :)