Author Topic: Wanting to buy one but jhave a few questions before I do  (Read 4668 times)

Offline cloudskipa

• NEO newbie
Wanting to buy one but jhave a few questions before I do
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:48:48 AM »
Hi, as a big fan of the N64 I would love to try out this flash cart but I wanted to ask a couple of question before I take the plunge.

I know that as things currently stand you can only flash 2 ROMS onto the memory that's included. I understand that you can als use a Neo 2 cart instead of this which allows for SD access, is it therefore possible, using this extra Neo 2 cart to browse the games on the SD and load them from a menu?

Or do you recommend I don't go this route and just wait for an in-built browser? If it's coming that is.

Also lastly, I am from the UK, where would be the best place to buy one of these?

Many thanks!

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Re: Wanting to buy one but jhave a few questions before I do
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »
is it therefore possible, using this extra Neo 2 cart to browse the games on the SD and load them from a menu?

Nope , you will still be using the on/off button to switch between 2 games that have been burned on flash.

Or do you recommend I don't go this route and just wait for an in-built browser? If it's coming that is.

This feature will be available.No doubt.

Also lastly, I am from the UK, where would be the best place to buy one of these?

You can order it from here : http://www.ic2005.com/shop/home.php (its the official neo shop)
And don't forget to post in their  user support zone (http://www.ic2005.com/us/index.php) the details about your order.

It must be in the following format :
Code: [Select]
topic title: my order #????
----------------------------
topic content:
Order number:
Buyer name: ???
Have bought item(s):
Total ammount (US$) :
Shipping address:
ZIP code:
Telephone Number:

PayPal payment reference ID :

(Don't worry no one can't see your post but the admins)

Once the order is processed , you should recieve your DHL tracking code to your email address.
(Shipping is free by the way)

Offline cloudskipa

• NEO newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:42:05 PM »
OK thank you very much for your reply.

So in order to use this menu that will be coming do I have to also buy the Neo 2 SD cart in preparation for it? I'm guessing if I only own the flash cart and the 512mb stick that comes with it I won't be able to use this menu that's being worked on by chillywilly. I just want to know so i can order both at once which would save a lot of hassle.

Again, many thanks

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:44:45 PM »
...to use this menu that will be coming do I have to also buy the Neo 2 SD cart in preparation for it?...

That´s exactly what I also wanted to know! see:
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5887.15.html

...I'm guessing if I only own the flash cart and the 512mb stick that comes with it I won't be able to use this menu that's being worked on by chillywilly...

Hopefully not.
I really hope the menu will also support the standard Neo2 card.  For sure, if you want to put a whole goodset onto the card, SD is the only solution. But if you are satisfied with a small selection of your favourite games, the support of the standard Neo2 card really makes sense.
 ~sm-42.gif~

The Myth for Mega Drive and SNES had a menu out of the box and everyone was happy with it!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:57:10 AM by stefan_iro »
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:24:33 AM »
I'm still experimenting with the N64 Myth. It is my hope that you'll be able to select from a list of roms to play on the regular flash cart, and to use the zip ram for games loaded from the SD. You would only need to burn games that were too big for the zip ram. The switch is used currently as a manually activated bank selector. The N64 Myth has a bank register, but you need a menu to set it based on where games are burned within the flash. So the switch was basically just a stop-gap measure until a menu was made; eventually, it won't be used as the menu will provide better functionality.

Offline cloudskipa

• NEO newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:09:26 AM »
Hi, well that's really encouraging to hear. Thanks for all your hard work on making this menu ChillyWilly, I know I couldn't do it as I'm not a coder so us fans have to rely on people like yourself to bring us the goods. So to let you know; thanks again it's really appreciated.

One question, do you have any idea how long it would take to load an average game from the SD? Would it be minutes or only a few seconds. I only ask because I've read about how long it takes to put ROMS onto the flash banks of the Neo 2 and was wondering if it was the same when loading from SD.

I'm going to order one now, Cheers!

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 06:14:53 AM »
I can't say on the speed - the N64 will read the data faster, but the games are larger, so I expect it will be somewhat around the same - a minute for smaller games to a few minutes for big ones. You can hope for better, but always prepare for the worst. :)

Offline cloudskipa

• NEO newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 06:49:23 PM »
OK thanks to everyone in this thread for answering my questions. Very helpful.  :)

edit: The cart actually came just now! I did not expect that it was unbelievably quick shipping!  :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:44:06 PM by cloudskipa »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:03:38 PM »
OK thanks to everyone in this thread for answering my questions. Very helpful.  :)

edit: The cart actually came just now! I did not expect that it was unbelievably quick shipping!  :D

Yep the shipping is very fast  :D
By the way , if you're going to get SD gba cart for the n64 myth any time soon , i suggest to save up a few $ and get the NEO2 PRO cart :
http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=119&cat=0&page=1

And last thing , if you wish to do the detection of save types/cic chips automatically until the plugin is embedded in the new official programmer,
you have 2 options : 1. Use the SuperN64 plugin host and let it fetch the info or 2.Use the opensource programmer which supports already the plugin(recommended!)  8)

Have fun  ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:06:01 PM by Conle »

Offline cloudskipa

• NEO newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:38:04 PM »
Hi, I've just been using the cart as described in the guide on this forum and manually selecting saves, but there's no guide for the JP games so I'll look into that thanks.

I have already bought a Neo 2 SD cart with it, I've not used it yet as I don't know what to do and don't think I can do anything with it right now can I? It's not like I can dump all my games on SD and play them from a menu yet?

Thanks again!  :)

ps. I'm so happy with the cart, yes it was expensive but it's an amazing bit of kit. Thank you

edit: Just one more thing, I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of the opensource programmer please?  thanks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:28:47 AM by cloudskipa »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:47:20 AM »
edit: Just one more thing, I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of the opensource programmer please?  thanks

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,6089.0.html

Offline cloudskipa

• NEO newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 03:12:15 AM »
Thanks for that, didn't realise it was a completely different programmer but it works really well, I havn't tried reloading SRAM saves but I assume it works fine.  8)

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 05:41:22 AM »
I have already bought a Neo 2 SD cart with it, I've not used it yet as I don't know what to do and don't think I can do anything with it right now can I?

Neo2 sd has also 512Mb of flash space.You can write a game or two there   ~sm-91.gif~.gif  :)