Author Topic: SNES Myth menu releases  (Read 129436 times)

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: SNES Myth menu releases
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2010, 03:51:30 AM »
So is there any way to write this menu to the neo3 tf? as it almost fits perfectly in the snes myth :P

The Neo3 series has just save ram and menu flash - no game flash and no "zip ram". As such, they SHOULD work with the SNES and MD Myth as both of those use PSRAM on the Myth cart for holding the game to be played. With the MD Myth, you would not be able to play any SMS games as the old MD Myth hardware requires SMS games be played from the game flash, and the V5 MD Myth hardware allows you to play from the zip ram as well as game flash (neither of which exist on the Neo3). As far as I know, the "missing" game flash/zip ram is the only difference to the Neo2, so it should just be a matter of writing the menu to the menu flash and loading games off the SD card.

Note that the Neo3 is totally unsuited for the N64 Myth as all games have to be run from flash or zip ram, neither of which exist. You COULD use one for homebrew where one homebrew program was written to the menu flash in place of a menu, then all data files for the homebrew were loaded from the SD card. It would only be useful for games if a future version of the N64 Myth had PSRAM like the SNES and MD Myth carts do.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
So is there any way to write this menu to the neo3 tf? as it almost fits perfectly in the snes myth :P

Hi spinal,

ChillyWilly may be right about the technical aspects of the Neo3 TF cart, but I don´t think the Neo3 series will ever be supported. If you still want a Neo2 TF cart for your SNES Myth, just go here: http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.php?products_id=430
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »
If the key difference is that the Neo3 lacks game flash then it wouldn't be much of a problem to support it. I could make a special version of the menu that starts up in SD mode and doesn't allow switching to GBA Card mode. But you would have to test it yourself since I don't have a Neo3 cart.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
If the key difference is that the Neo3 lacks game flash then it wouldn't be much of a problem to support it. I could make a special version of the menu that starts up in SD mode and doesn't allow switching to GBA Card mode. But you would have to test it yourself since I don't have a Neo3 cart.

There is one problem before that point though, the Neo2 Pro manager will not detect the neo3tf, I assume it is only searching for neo2. the neo2 ultra menu will happily write to the neo3tf, but will not write the new menu correctly (size?) and results in a blank screen when the snes is powered on.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2010, 02:33:31 AM »
There is one problem before that point though, the Neo2 Pro manager will not detect the neo3tf, I assume it is only searching for neo2. the neo2 ultra menu will happily write to the neo3tf, but will not write the new menu correctly (size?) and results in a blank screen when the snes is powered on.

He said he could make a version that starts in SD mode instead of game flash mode. The MD and N64 Myth menus both start in SD mode if an SD card is detected on boot up. We figure if you have an SD card inserted, you probably want to use it.  ~sm-82.gif~.gif

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2010, 02:42:39 PM »
He said he could make a version that starts in SD mode instead of game flash mode. The MD and N64 Myth menus both start in SD mode if an SD card is detected on boot up. We figure if you have an SD card inserted, you probably want to use it.  ~sm-82.gif~.gif

I'm not disputing that, what I said was that the software required to write the latest menu does not detect the neo3tf at all, so there is no way to actually write the menu to the cart.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2010, 05:08:22 AM »
v0.52 of the SNES menu has been released: http://code.google.com/p/neo-myth-menu/downloads/list

YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I7TD_94dp4

New in this version:

* Much faster game loading from SD if you've got the 2.4 firmware on your Myth (this firmware hasn't been released yet but hopefully Dr Neo will release it soon). I get speeds of about 95-110 kB/s with my cards (i.e. loading an 8 Mbit game takes about 9 or 10 seconds). Note that the menu is still compatible with older firmwares, but then you'll get the same transfer speeds as before.

* The entire SD card can be used. You're not limited to just /SNES/ROMS/ (but you will still need to have a /SNES/ROMS/ directory because that's directory that the menu opens when you first switch to SD mode).

* Basic SRAM support. Only works for LoROM games with <=32kB SRAM (and maybe not even for all such games). I've tested it with Super Mario World and Super Metroid and was able to save and load properly.

* Pressing the L button in SD mode jumps to the top of the current directory.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2010, 05:49:52 AM »
* The entire SD card can be used. You're not limited to just /SNES/ROMS/ (but you will still need to have a /SNES/ROMS/ directory because that's directory that the menu opens when you first switch to SD mode).

Good! That means I can make a /SNES/MUSIC/ directory and get rid of a bunch of music files cluttering the rom directory.  ;D

* Basic SRAM support. Only works for LoROM games with <=32kB SRAM (and maybe not even for all such games). I've tested it with Super Mario World and Super Metroid and was able to save and load properly.

Basic is better than nothing.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2010, 07:16:18 AM »
New in this version:

* Much faster game loading from SD if you've got the 2.4 firmware on your Myth (this firmware hasn't been released yet but hopefully Dr Neo will release it soon).

Dr. neo, please release firmware v2.4 soon, because a good friend from Freising is going to visit me next week and he has got a nero dual programmer to update my SNES myth cart...  ::sm-09.gif::
8bit & 16bit

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2011, 12:03:36 AM »
v0.53 of the SNES menu has been released: http://code.google.com/p/neo-myth-menu/downloads/list

YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5NZSjFohBo

New in this version:

* Better compatibility with ROMs that have weird sizes when loading from the SD card. This mainly affects old homebrew demos/cracktros.

* Support for VGZ files. No need to decompress the songs before putting them on the SD card.

Offline Morden

• ║║█│││█│║│││║║│█║
    • Morden's Gaming Blog
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2011, 04:17:58 AM »
Do these updates improve only the SD loading, or is there some improvement when it comes to the GBA cartridge as well? Also, is the SNES sound file support exclusive to the SD cartridges? I haven't actually tried burning anything else than the SMC files from the client.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2011, 04:55:07 AM »
These latest updates are only for SD mode. SPC playback from the GBA cart should work as well, but it's been a long time since I tested it.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
Dr. neo, please release firmware v2.4 soon! ::sm-29.gif::
It just doesn´t make sense to do any testing without the actual firmware...
8bit & 16bit

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:12 PM »
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2011, 04:45:35 AM »
v0.54 of the SNES menu has been released: http://code.google.com/p/neo-myth-menu/downloads/list

YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV1PhLPekjo

New in this version:

* Long filenames in SD mode. The highlighted file is shown with its long name, while the others are shown with their short names.

* Support for changing some of the default menu values through a SETTINGS.TXT file in the /SNES directory on the SD card.
   Currently recognized settings are:
   START_DIR=/SOME/DIRECTORY      start in this directory instead of /SNES/ROMS
   RESET_MODE=0-2         0=to game, 1=to menu after 3 s, 2=to menu
   REGION_FIX=0-2         0=off, 1=quick, 2=complete

* Loading of zipped ROMs from SD. This is quite limited right now, and also very slow, so it's not that useful.
   The ROM must be the first file in the zip, and the uncompressed ROM size must be <= 1 MByte.