Author Topic: SNES Myth menu releases  (Read 129099 times)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
Re: SNES Myth menu releases
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »
Ah ok. I still have the original firmware on my Myth, so updating the firmware isn't needed for SD support.
Only the new reset modes rely on an updated firmware if you want to use them.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »
You might want to not have the SD Info entry when the SD card isn't mounted. Or maybe when they select it, print "SD card not mounted. Press R to mount." or something similar.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2010, 05:58:35 AM »
OK, mic_. Here are my results ^^

Your new menu works fine so far. I have tested with SNES Myth card firmware v0.1, Neo2 Pro card and Panasonic SD card. Of course SRam save with SD card does not work, but I was also unable to run Tales of Phantasia. I have tried "Tales of Phantasia (J) [T-Eng1.0_DeJap].smc", but the game does not start?

"Street Fighter II Turbo - Hyper Fighting (U) [!].smc" also does not work.  Thus it starts up properly form Neo2 flash memory, it refuses to run from SD card. It even shows only 16M whereas it should be 24M.

Additionally you should support more than 8-letter-names. I think the limitation has to do with iso1 files, but there are just too many similar SNES names...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:37:39 AM by stefan_iro »
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2010, 10:12:53 AM »
It's been stated the save ram and enhancement chips aren't supported yet. Also, it uses short names since it's based on pff for the file system. I've noticed that the size (in Mbits) is rounded down to the closest power of two, but it loads the whole file.

These are all things that will be dealt with. Early versions always get lots of reports, which are then turned into new features or bug fixes as the case goes, so keep up the reports.  :D

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »
Some games that use SRAM might check if SRAM really is present - and in the exact amount that the game expects - and refuse to run if it isn't.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
About the 16/24 Mbit thing: The values that are shown on the ROM Info screen are extracted from the game's 64-byte info section, i.e. what the manufacturer put there. The field that specifies the ROM size only allows powers of two, so that's why it says 16 Mbits. But as ChillyWilly indicated, that value isn't used for anything. When I load a game I go by the actual file size.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »
Or maybe the detection code needs some improvement ?  ~sm-92.gif~.gif
The Programmer is using the Snes plugin which uses a combination of bsnes emulator's detection code plus detailed SNES Myth configuration for all cases,
and maybe that's why those 2 games work from flash.
But yeah , now that we got SD support , the rest are little details to be worked on  ~sm-57.gif~.gif

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
Or maybe the detection code needs some improvement ?
If you mean SRAM then yes, because currently it has no detection for that ;)  or at least no mapping to Myth SRAM modes.

For ROM sizes there's nothing more to be done. It already loads the entire ROM, which is what it should do. Unless you're talking about mirroring of ROMs that are less than 32kB (I don't think any SNES games that small exist).
HiROM/LoROM detection should work unless you've got a bad dump with an incorrect checksum.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »
About the 16/24 Mbit thing: The values that are shown on the ROM Info screen are extracted from the game's 64-byte info section, i.e. what the manufacturer put there. The field that specifies the ROM size only allows powers of two, so that's why it says 16 Mbits. But as ChillyWilly indicated, that value isn't used for anything. When I load a game I go by the actual file size.

My SNES myth card shows a different behavior.  When I load "Street Fighter II Turbo - Hyper Fighting (U) [!].smc" from flash memory it shows 24M, but when I try to load from SD card it only shows 16M. You are right the game still loads to the internal Ram, but it freezes at the start up screen. When loading the same rom from flash memory it plays flawlessly...
8bit & 16bit

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 12:12:32 AM »
but when I try to load from SD card it only shows 16M.
You mean on the ROM Info screen, or when you actually load the game (i.e. does the countdown start at "Loading......(16)") ?

When I load "Street Fighter II Turbo - Hyper Fighting (U) [!].smc" from flash memory it shows 24M
The size that's shown near the bottom of the screen when browsing the file list in GBA card mode is written there by the Neo Manager when you write the game to the GBA card, and it's not necessarily info extracted from the ROM.

The reason why the game won't run probably has to do with SRAM.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2010, 12:57:10 AM »
You mean on the ROM Info screen, or when you actually load the game (i.e. does the countdown start at "Loading......(16)") ?

Yes, it starts the countdown with "Loading......(16)"!
8bit & 16bit

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2010, 01:08:53 AM »
hmmm, I'm getting nothing but a black screen with my Neo2 SD... I replaced the neosnes.bin in 'neo2 ultra menu' folder and click 'snes burn'...
Do I need to do a format or anything like that?

also, is there any way to use the neo3TF in the snes myth?

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2010, 01:40:10 AM »
If you mean SRAM

Nope. 8) ((Well..at least not just sram/dsps))
Anyway , i should probably post that stuff in the md/snes mailing list to avoid turning your release thread into a mess ::sm-16.gif::

hmmm, I'm getting nothing but a black screen with my Neo2 SD... I replaced the neosnes.bin in 'neo2 ultra menu' folder and click 'snes burn'...
Do I need to do a format or anything like that?

Well ...
1)Defective SD interface  :( -- but usually you get a few secs timeout and then it should load the menu
2)Not compatible SDC (rare)
3)Messed up menu flash -- this can be fixed by doing a low level format , then write the menu

So its most likely #3

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:44:53 AM by Conle »

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2010, 01:48:56 AM »
I just read the readme, I have never updated the myth firmware, i guess that might be it? I have no idea how to actually flash the myth, I assume I need extra hardware to do that though?

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2010, 01:51:22 AM »
You don't need to update the SNES Myth firmware to use SD cards but if you want the new reset options, you will need a Nero Dual Programmer.

I burnt neosnes.bin using Neo 2 Pro Manager. The old Ultra menu might have burnt the menu incorrectly or because its twice as large as the previous menus, it might have been placed on a bad sector. There was a small loader to work around that for the Genesis menu but not one for SNES yet as far as I know.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:09:20 AM by Sektor »