Author Topic: SNES Myth menu releases  (Read 129097 times)

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: SNES Myth menu releases
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2011, 05:41:15 AM »
Menu related things should go in /menu/platform/, so you might change the next version of the menu to look for the settings in /menu/snes/settings.txt.

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2011, 07:15:40 AM »
New in this version:

* Long filenames in SD mode. The highlighted file is shown with its long name, while the others are shown with their short names.

* Support for changing some of the default menu values through a SETTINGS.TXT file in the /SNES directory on the SD card.

* Loading of zipped ROMs from SD. This is quite limited right now, and also very slow, so it's not that useful.
   The ROM must be the first file in the zip, and the uncompressed ROM size must be <= 1 MByte.

Great, this is a huge step forward! I will test the new menu tomorrow...
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2011, 08:47:51 AM »
neoflash is lucky they found such talent   ~sm-58.gif~.gif
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:34:22 PM by Sektor »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2011, 01:33:02 PM »
Menu related things should go in /menu/platform/, so you might change the next version of the menu to look for the settings in /menu/snes/settings.txt.

That's what i was just going to say  >:D    ~sm-82.gif~.gif

neoflash is lucky they found such talent  ~sm-58.gif~.gif

Yeah , mic_ did amazing job with the SNES menu(with CW's support on myth hw stuff of course  >:D ).
I think that this is the difference with community based projects.They take a bit longer to finish since the person want's to have fun with the code and you've got to have mood and time for this to happen...
but in the end they get crazy features , since that actual person also adding little features for his self which (usualy) happen to be useful for the whole community.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »
Mic did virtually everything himself. I was mostly just providing a little insight on how the existing SD code may work on the SNES Myth hardware (things like doing byte reads on either the even or odd address for the data... turned out it was the odd address). That and some testing. Mic's done a fantastic job on this menu.  ;D

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
An SRAM manager (which requires hacking file writing support into pff) and correct detection of SRAM/DSP in SD mode are the only critical features that remain to be added. After that maybe I can get started on the MKIII menu (assuming that the hardware is available by then).

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
I just noticed that both 0.53 and 0.54 had a bug in them that would prevent ROMs larger than 32 Mbit to run properly when loaded from the SD card.   :(
I'll fix that in the next version.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »
I'm not surprised no one spotted that - there aren't many games larger than 24Mbits. Most of the ones that are happen to require enhancement chips. I've got one Japanese RPG that is larger than 24Mbits and doesn't need an enhancement chip, which is why I didn't spot this. The majority of the games I play on the SNES are 8 and 16 Mbits with a scant few 24 Mbits.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2011, 06:19:53 PM »
Yeah I didn't notice it until I looked at the function in question when I was adding some code to it.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
Damn ...those .....bugs  ~sm-70.gif~.gif
 :)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2011, 03:37:27 AM »
v0.55 of the SNES menu has been released: http://code.google.com/p/neo-myth-menu/downloads/list

New in this version:

* Faster SD loading. The transfer speed has been increased about 15-20% (I get around 140 kB/s with my SanDisk Ultra card).

* The unzip speed has been increased about 50%.

* Fixed a bug related to unzipping headered ROMs.

* The menu now looks for the SETTINGS.TXT file (optional) in /MENU/SNES instead of /SNES.

* Loading ROMs larger than 32 Mbit from SD should hopefully work again.

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »
v0.55 of the SNES menu has been released: http://code.google.com/p/neo-myth-menu/downloads/list

New in this version:

* Faster SD loading. The transfer speed has been increased about 15-20% (I get around 140 kB/s with my SanDisk Ultra card).

* The unzip speed has been increased about 50%.

* Fixed a bug related to unzipping headered ROMs.

* The menu now looks for the SETTINGS.TXT file (optional) in /MENU/SNES instead of /SNES.

* Loading ROMs larger than 32 Mbit from SD should hopefully work again.

great news my dear! ~sm-31.gif~
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2011, 04:40:27 AM »
Well, I get just over 160KB/sec, but the one game I have >32Mbits doesn't run. It's Tales of Phantasia and is 48Mbits. It's the only SNES game I know that is >32Mbits without requiring an enhancement chip.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2011, 05:09:36 AM »
Tales of Phantasia uses 64 kb of SRAM. It's possible that it's checking for the presence and size of the SRAM as a means of copy protection. And since I don't have full SRAM recognition in the menu yet that may well be what's preventing the game from working.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2011, 06:42:55 AM »
Tales of Phantasia uses 64 kb of SRAM. It's possible that it's checking for the presence and size of the SRAM as a means of copy protection. And since I don't have full SRAM recognition in the menu yet that may well be what's preventing the game from working.

Ah, that makes sense. I know a number of games on other platforms won't run if they don't detect the save ram they think should exist. You should probably add a way to set the amount of sram like we did with the MD and N64 menus.

Another suggestion - if the person holds down the dpad, do the operation again after a short delay. Continuously pressing up and down gets irritating.  ::sm-02::

:D