Author Topic: Neo2_Pro_Manager_1.00_Beta4 for N64 menu test [June.14.2010]  (Read 10428 times)

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: Neo2_Pro_Manager_1.00_Beta4 for N64 menu test [June.14.2010]
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
Please be more patient, we are improving. if you are dong n64 test, you may try to format in fats mode, and use little game for burning.

I'm patient... I know these things take time and effort. We ask people to be patient when waiting for updates on the menu, so it would be silly to not be patient waiting on the client.  ~sm-70.gif~.gif

Maybe I sounded a little harsh - all I was trying to do was report that the formatting took a step back. Maybe some experimental code got reverted as part of the bug fixing.  ~sm-70.gif~.gif

Offline SivenYu

• Neo MOD
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »
Sorry, ChillyWilly, I do not mean that. Your contributions are well-know in neo. By now, the new pro manager is still on the function adding, like N64, PCE, SFC... About the formating issue, to be honest, it may be a little difficult for our software if we don't understand flash and ASIC hardware principle completely. how much size in one time writting? even the block size is a factor in formatting.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 08:16:51 AM »
Sorry, ChillyWilly, I do not mean that. Your contributions are well-know in neo. By now, the new pro manager is still on the function adding, like N64, PCE, SFC... About the formating issue, to be honest, it may be a little difficult for our software if we don't understand flash and ASIC hardware principle completely. how much size in one time writting? even the block size is a factor in formatting.

I think we keep thinking the other is getting upset... I don't think that is the case.  ~sm-82.gif~.gif

The difference on the formatting is SIGNIFICANT - the first release of the new client would format 1018 Mbits good, while the current varies from 400 to 650 Mbits good. It's not like a few blocks - it's HALF the flash!  ~sm-73.gif~.gif

One of the things I suggested to Dr.neo (don't know if he passed it on to you) is that the behavior I see is RANDOM - a block may format good one time, then fail the next, then pass the next. I suggested a retry since it is random. This should be on formatting and writing, since both show the same problem. It's also not just the N64, but every Myth and the stand-alone Slimloader IV. They show DIFFERENT amounts of randomness, but all show random behavior on the flash writing. The MD Myth works the best, and the N64 Myth the worst in my experience (your experience may vary). It also seems to depend on the flash - the older A and B flashes don't seem to have the problem, but the newer C flashes and the Neo2-SD/Neo2-Pro do have it.

So an A or B flash in the MD Myth almost never fails randomly when formatting/writing, while the Neo2-Pro in the N64 Myth fails randomly for half the blocks or more.  ~sm-66.gif~.gif

In any case, since it IS random, having a retry count that the user can set from 1 to 5 (for example) should make writing more reliable, even if we don't know WHY it's having the trouble. I'd guess there's probably some setup timing on the flash write that is borderline on the current code, so it works sometimes, and fails sometimes, depending on the load the flash places on the Myth ASIC.

Offline SivenYu

• Neo MOD
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »
OK, ChillyWilly, i also meet the random case and i really do the retry, but it seam not in effect. MD ,SNES and N64 take the same format function, when standard format, i first prepare a 64Mbit buffer(also had try 32Mbit before),then loop to burn every 64Mbit, when one bank(256Mbit) finish,  then read back and verify, if some one 64Mbit checksum wrong, i will retry this 64Mbit.  but i have some doubts:

1. how many block size i should select to burn and it will minimize the retry size? now is 64Mbit, when this 64Mbit block checksum error, it will retry whole 64Mbit even if just 1Mbit bit bad block.
2. why there's random checksum error? maybe the flash program timeout when meet bad flash block, maybe my asic command wrong, It's hard to be sure by now.
3. how to retry? retry the whole 64Mbit? or divide to small block? by now i divide to 2Mbit to burn at a time , but i usual see that all of the 2Mbit little blocks are wrong inside the 64Mbit, it seems flash program wrong.

:-[, wo...

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
Well, sounds like this will wind up being more trail and error determination of the settings than anything else. I know the USB interface is a separate chip in the MD Myth... is it separate in the N64? Are there docs on the flash writing from the manufacturer for the separate parts? I went as much by the docs as possible on the SD code, and it seems pretty solid. We need something similar for the flash. I think I'd be happier trying to derive a write method from the docs than trial and error.  ???

Offline SivenYu

• Neo MOD
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 12:03:15 PM »
Thanks, ChillyWilly, i know how to improve my format arithmetic after i reply your post, and these one or two days i will give you update for test. If you like to try the flash write method, give me your  email, i have some debug tool for you.

Offline SivenYu

• Neo MOD
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 12:38:55 PM »
I know the USB interface is a separate chip in the MD Myth... is it separate in the N64? Are there docs on the flash writing from the manufacturer for the separate parts? I went as much by the docs as possible on the SD code, and it seems pretty solid. We need something similar for the flash. I think I'd be happier trying to derive a write method from the docs than trial and error.  ???

i am not familiar with the hardware, but i am sure that it is same for software layer if we send the correct asic command, and we had located at the flash rom, the remaining is how we do the flash program.

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 04:28:01 PM »
here is the new format DLL, please use these 2 files to replace the old one, it should fix the format issue  ~sm-77.gif~.gif
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......