Author Topic: Reviews by Chilly Willy  (Read 25080 times)

Offline linoma

Re: Reviews by Chilly Willy
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 09:34:07 AM »
bue it's an excellent example. No? :( Anyway thanks for 5 points.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:35:53 AM by linoma »
* * fb4nds - Facebook for DS * * my neo compo homebrew.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »
bue it's an excellent example. No? :( Anyway thanks for 5 points.

Yes, it is a good example, and I did give other programs more points on sound that aren't as good an example. Now you have 10 points for the sound, mostly for being a good example, which you can thank being open source for or you wouldn't get it.  >:( 

That did bump you up a slot.  ~sm-56.gif~.gif

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 10:19:35 AM »

Almost forgot about that... to make it easier, here's a list of non-original entries:
Super Smash Bros
Port Bubble (placed in top 10)
PSP Dictionary (placed in top 10)

and a list of games that support motion:
Super Extreme Smile
Flake Out
Scribble Jump
Avia

It has happened to me once right before i submitted my review  ~sm-34.gif~ ,and since my review was generated
by a small script(even the calculated score/list) it took me about a hour to fix the reviews of that division due to the complex theme and point system which
had Real numbers.

~sm-73.gif~.gif I just don't want to remember this.  ~sm-70.gif~.gif

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 11:02:36 AM »
There's so few of either that you just quit looking after the first half dozen reviews.  ~sm-75.gif~.gif

Offline BassAceGold

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 01:03:22 PM »
Not really sure that I agree with the categories used in the reviews (sound, graphics and usefulness don't seem right to me in app reviews), but good reviews none the less.  :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:38:58 PM by BassAceGold »

Offline Gefa

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 01:39:44 PM »
Always about Portable Bubble, why only 5 points for "fun"? Don't you like playing Puzzle Bubble? :-)
and why only 10 points for the sound?  ::sm-03:: in my opinion the sound is one of the better thing of this game
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:41:34 PM by Gefa »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 02:17:56 PM »
Gefa,the purpose of having a review collection zone is so that users can post their personal reviews,toplists and share their thoughts.
Not every reviewer is going to like your game--that's just example,because (for example) , last year i enjoyed your entry-- and you can't change his mind either  ::sm-07.gif::

If that makes you happy , don't forget that reviews get judged.  ~sm-51.gif~.gif

ps--You can also make your own reviews if you wish.There's still alot of time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:20:41 PM by Conle »

Offline Aleomark

• Just a gamer!
    • El otro lado
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 03:36:56 PM »
maybe not a lot of time but it's a personal opinion, I've read all the reviews and the creators got very defensive, remember contest reviews aren't going to be like judges. Anyways let's wait more reviews... like mine...  ~sm-66.gif~.gif

Offline leooomichel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 05:18:25 PM »
Open source versus closed source, not LUA versus C. A number of the open source programs that got extra points were C or python. If I missed a program that's open source, point it out and I'll adjust it like I did for Gefa.

Uh yeah, mea culpa, I didn't notice that Lua apps didn't have points for beeing open-source, in that way it makes lot more sense, open-source definitely deserve those points.
As others compos reach end, I'm about to release source, probably too late for compo, but that might help some people.

Offline corenting

• My website
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
Thank you for the first true review !
And sorry but DSLamp and PlusOuMoins DS (you know the last game and almost the last app :D) are open source :
DSLamp source : http://code.google.com/p/corenting-applications/source/browse/#svn/trunk/Lampe
PlusOuMoins DS :http://code.google.com/p/corenting-applications/source/browse/#svn/trunk/PlusOuMoins

Offline davidgf

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 08:49:42 PM »
Hey! Toy Wars is (will be) opensource. Just waiting some contest to pass to publish the source code.
All the libs are BSD licensed, but I'll release the code for ethic reasons (the ME code uses your code!! xD).

Great review BTW! You do like puzzle games!

Offline Total_Noob

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »
Tell me, why is the Originality of Ultimate VSH Menu 0?

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 12:05:45 AM »
Hey! Toy Wars is (will be) opensource. Just waiting some contest to pass to publish the source code.
All the libs are BSD licensed, but I'll release the code for ethic reasons (the ME code uses your code!! xD).

Great review BTW! You do like puzzle games!

Yes, I do like puzzle games quite a bit.  :D

Also, WILL BE open source is like WILL HAVE this or that feature... can't really count it in the contest NOW. Sorry.

Tell me, why is the Originality of Ultimate VSH Menu 0?

Because VSH's for the PSP are a dime a dozen. It's like expecting points on originality for a "Hello World" program.  ~sm-79.gif~.gif

Thank you for the first true review !
And sorry but DSLamp and PlusOuMoins DS (you know the last game and almost the last app :D) are open source :
DSLamp source : http://code.google.com/p/corenting-applications/source/browse/#svn/trunk/Lampe
PlusOuMoins DS :http://code.google.com/p/corenting-applications/source/browse/#svn/trunk/PlusOuMoins

Thanks you for pointing that out... I'll make the adjustments. EDIT: Hey! The extra points on Plus or Minus allowed my to move it ahead of Epic Caveman! You're now not last in that category.  ~sm-82.gif~.gif  While DSLamp tied with Ult VSH, I still feel Ult VSH is a little more useful, so I left their relative ranking alone. Sorry.

As to the review, I was a bit under the weather the last couple days (feeling better now), so I spent it playing games... and writing notes. So I just put it all together yesterday and posted. I know these are supposed to be up by the 5th... a lot of reviewers are really cutting it close.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:12:03 AM by ChillyWilly »

Offline Jovin

• NEO newbie
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 12:11:22 AM »
ChillyWilly,
Do you play nds games on an emulator or on a device?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:13:20 AM by Jovin »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 12:22:50 AM »
ChilliWilly,
Do you play nds games on an emulator or on a device?

Emulator. I checked out the subversion repo for DeSmuME and compiled it for my system. It was the only way to get many of the programs to work. In any case, I'm sure some would probably be better on a real NDS. I might try to find a nice cheap used one towards the end of the year. Between having to compile the very latest DeSmuME and turning some game's contents into a fat image, it was more work than I really wanted to do. Might have influenced a score or two...  ::sm-02::

I used a real PSP, a nice Silver PSP2001 with CFW 5.00M33-6, a real N64, and what else was there... ah yes, I tried to setup the latest Dolphin to try out the Wii games since Dolphin is supposed to run some Wii stuff; unfortunately, I wasn't able to get that working, so I settled for watching the YouTub videos. I mentioned that in the reviews. So I suppose you can discount the Wii reviews. Oh yes, I ran Space Pixy on Gens/GS and on real hardware with the MD Myth... it crashes on real hardware when you try to enter a level. There's a game that HAS to be judged on an emulator!  >:D