Author Topic: GAME REVIEWS [NDS + PSP + MD]  (Read 4742 times)

Offline ghasolina

• NEO newbie
GAME REVIEWS [NDS + PSP + MD]
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:39:26 AM »
Hi everybody!

I am new here, in fact, this is my first post, so I will try to do my best with the reviews. I have always enjoyed playing games and I am very interested in homebrew ones, but I must say that I am impressed for such a high level in some of the games submitted to the competition; so,  first of all, congratulations to the participants!

I have only tried GAMES, but I couldn’t test the Wii  ones (Scape and Nanomechas) as I don’t have it. There are two NDS games I could not test because they didn’t work with my emulator (Super Smash Bros Crash! and 24. Swap-DS), and the PSP game Portable Bubble v2.1.0 exits prematurely, so I won’t review these games as I think that a video-based review would be unfair.

To evaluate the games, I use a scale from 0 to 100 points distributed in 6 sections:

Graphics (G): up to 20 points
Sound (S): up to 20 points. Includes Music (M): up to 10 points, and Effects (E): up to 10 points
Playability (P): up to 20 points. It refers to levels and extra possibilities.
Concept (C ): up to 20 points, and refers to originality, new idea..
Miscellanea (Mi): up to 15. Includes Loading Time (LT): up to 5 points, Bugfree (B): up to 5 points, and Language Options (LO): up to 5 points.
Original (O): 5 points.

As you will see, I greatly appreciate completely original games, with original graphics and music, so they will receive  higher punctuation. I will order the games according to their score, from higher to lower punctuation:

1. Toy Wars demo version 95/100
G: 20
S: 20 ( M: 10, E: 10)
P: 20
C: 20
Mi: 10 ( LT: 5, B:5, LO: 0)
O: 5

This is the best game in this competition for sure. Original 3D graphics are great, as well as the original music. I am not a coder but only for those aspects I can guess you must have spent several hours working on it. I think this game inspired in childhood has a great future because it can be expanded with many missions and different stages. My only suggestion is that you could add language options.  Congratulations for your work and I wish you go on with such an ambitious project.

2. Duyumania 95/100
C: 15
Mi: 15 ( LT: 5, B:5, LO: 5)

This is a great game with very nice graphics and music. The characters are really lovely too! It has many levels and many options like guest player, which are very interesting. Very fun and friendly game!

3. Speed Trap 85/100
S: 15 ( M: 10, E: 5)

Good job! This race game has very good graphics with shadows and good music too. It lets you choose many cars, with is a great point. You could add language options and more levels. It is fun and I have really enjoyed it.

4. Chewing Boy NDS 75/100
G: 10
P: 15

This is a simple but very interesting game. You have to reach the stars with a chewing guma, which has many useful transformations. Good music, but you could add language options and improve the graphics. The only bad point is that this kind of games can become repetitive.

5. Chapas GP 70/100
S: 10 ( M: 5, E: 5)
C: 10

Based on a typical children game most of us played when we were younger, this is a funny game with nice graphics. You could add language options.

6. PSP_Bot 60/100
G: 15
S: 0 ( M: 0, E: 0)

In this game you have to light the blue squares  giving the right instructions to the robot. There are some levels, but I would suggest you to add some more. I have enjoyed it a lot, but if I were you I add music and extra languages, at least english. I also missed the replay and an option to go back to lower levels once you have reached the highest ones.

7. Undead Terror Demo 60/100
S: 5 ( M: 5, E: 0)
P: 10

This shooter has good graphics, I specially like the background drawings. It is repetitive, which is not strange in this kind of games. It would be great if you added sound effects with the shots!

8. Sam and Max The Hangman Game DS 60/100
S: 10 ( M: 10, E: 0)
P: 5

In my opinion, this is an example of  a simple but well done game. With two different languages (English and French), this very common game has nice pictures and it is ideal to entertain children.

9. Mega-Drive Space Pixy 59/100
S: 4 ( M: 2, E: 2)

In this retro-game you have to collect mushrooms. It has nice graphics and lovely characters. However, it is not easy to compare this game to any other because making a Megadrive game is very difficult compared to NDS or PSP. I think this is a game that children would enjoy.

10. Mario Masochism 59/100
G: 5

If you are looking for a really difficult game, you must try this! It doesn’t have original graphics nor music, but it is a good Mario version although it doesn't have all the playability that recent NDS Marios have.

11. Epic Caveman 57/100
S: 12 ( M: 7, E: 5)

This is a repetitive and boring game. You only have to jump while speed increases, nothing else. Graphics are good. I would recommend some imagination to the author, it could be a better game as he author has a great potential in graphic creation.

12. Breakout! 55/100
S: 10 ( M: 0, E: 10)
C: 5

This is an interesting 3D Breakout game with good graphics taking into account that those kind of games use to be very simple. I would consider it a more sophisticated Breakout, nothing new I hadn’t seen before.

13. Flake Out! DS 53/100
S: 10 ( M: 5, E: 5)
C: 8

Flake Out! Could be a great game if  instructions were easier and if it was not so monotonous. I must say that graphics are good, but when the background lights it is difficult to distinguish the figures. Music is a good point, it makes the game more entertaining. I think  the game should evolve during the gameplay to avoid repetition.

14. Bilou : Apple Assault 52/100
S: 7 ( M: 7, E: 0)

I found this apple-game quite difficult to play. Graphics are OK and it’s nice to hear music, although it is repetitive and you can get sick of it. It's a pity that the bottom screen of the NDS is used to display the credits and some other ugly information, especially being a touchscreen.

15. SquarO 50/100

SquarO is an entertaining and very simple game without many graphics. It’s a game similar to Sudoku and Minesweeper. This is one of those games that will never be unfashioned. It would be interesting to know when do you win, because you only see that the counter stops which is not very highlighting. I would also recommend you to add other languages, at least english.

16. DSPaintball 50/100
G: 8
S: 12 ( M: 7, E: 5)
Mi: 5 ( LT: 5, B:0, LO: 0)

In this game you have to draw lines in the touchscreen so that the ball can reach the star. This sounds great, but I found a bug that consisted of the ball crossing the line drawn; this is very awful, because frustrates the player and makes him/her angry. In spite of this, DSPaintball is a good game and it’s a very good point that you can create your own levels thanks to the level editor.

17. Puzzli 49/100

In Puzzli you have to put all the same colour fish together. This is not a very original game, music and graphics are not original. It is one of those games like SquarO that are useful when you have some time-out and you have nothing else to do. It is repetitive but youcan have fun with it.

18. Mario Fusion 49/100
Mi: 5 ( LT: 5, B:0, LO: 0)

Based on a commercial game, Mario Fusion is an immature game with some bugs. I think this game could be improved by adding some new features, it is too simple, there is nothing new.

19. PSPokémon 49/100

Another version of a commercial game without original graphics nor music. Nice game, but it is very short, it looks like a proof of concept than a demo.

20. Agent Eight NDS 48/100
S:3 ( M: 0, E: 3)

This is a really simple game, with very poor graphics and without music, but it runs properly. Your mission is to save a nuclear plant from terrorists. It could be improved with some design details and good sound.

21. Super Extreme Smile 47/100
S: 7 ( M: 7, E: 0)

In this entertaining game,  you have to rotate the map so that the smile can move. It is a pity you only can rotate 90º. There is a very good point in music, you can choose it! but graphics are not very good…  I really encourage you to improve it because this game can be very good!

22. Scribble Jump DS 47/100
S: 7 ( M: 0, E: 7)

This is a funny game where you have to move the blue point (which is jumping) so that it can get as high as possible. It has language options, which is a good point but graphics could improved. I missed some music.

23. Sokoban Touch & Go! 45/100

Here you have another Sokoban game. It would be better with sound and some new features.

24. LodeRunner Return 44/100

This is not an original game, it is fun but not very much in my opinion. There are no new features.

25. 4S: Side Scrolling Space Shooter 43/100
S: 3 ( M: 0, E: 3)

Here we have another shooter with two different scenaries. Graphics could be improved and there is sound only when you are killed. I think that some music could be added. In my opinion, it is a nice game but the lack of sound is a handicap.

26. BreakOut4PSP 40/100

This is the typical 2D Breakout. It is interesting you can change level without leaving the screen, you just run through the levels. Graphics could be improved as well as music could be added.

27. Age Of Nations (RC1) 35/100
Mi: 10 ( LT: 5, B:0, LO: 5)

This is not an original game, but it is a good idea to port it to PSP. I missed some sound and there is a bug which allows you to build infinite houses although you run out of wood if  you plan to do it while you still have some.

28. Save The Castle 35/100
S: 5 ( M: 0, E: 5)
Mi: 10 ( LT: 5, B: 5, LO: 0)

In this too much simple game, you have to shot the enemy. It is repetitive, graphics are quite bad and there is no music. It is boring. Maybe you could add other missions of something else so that it became funnier.

29. Plus ou moins DS 26/100
G: 0
S: 3 ( M: 0, E: 3)
P: 3

In Plus ou moins you have to guess a number, and the game tells you if the number is more or less than the one you say. It is a very simple and boring game without graphics nor music.

30. Simon Says 26/100
G: 2
S: 5 ( M: 0, E: 5)
P: 2
C: 2

Probably I would have enjoyed this game many years ago. It is OK for children, in fact, it can be educative to them. It is not fun as a game, maybe it would be better if it was a part of a game.

31. Pokemon Ghost Black ReTold 14/100
G: 1
S: 2 ( M: 2, E: 0)
P: 0
C: 1
Mi: 5 ( LT: 0, B: 5, LO: 0)

I would not consider it as a game, it is like a book; consequently I don’t think it should participate in a game competition. The pictures aren’t original and it takes a lot of time to change a page.

And that's all! Good luck to everybody!!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:09:04 PM by ghasolina »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Re: GAME REVIEWS [NDS + PSP + MD]
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:53:23 AM »
Another good review! :)

Just a few suggestions as a reader :
5points for "Language Options (LO)" is a bit too much i think.
Maybe you could add "NM"(Supports Neo Motion control) since its in the rules.And give to each entry that supports it +5%(for example)/max rating.
Same applies for original entries(again ,its in the rules).They get +%5(for example)/max rating if its the first time that made it
to the comp , otherwise they get nothing.

Anyway--good luck :D

Offline ghasolina

• NEO newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:02:11 AM »
I have already given 5 points for Originals (the last "O" in the ratings); and about the Motion support I think it is unfair because it is only supported on PSP and NDS, and this leaves other platforms in disadvantage.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »
Well , it was just a suggestion.
But just to let you know , the "Supports Neo motion" section is required.

Offline LaPatateInc

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:40:53 AM »
Nice reviews.
It's the only one saying WHY my game is bad.  ~sm-83.gif~.gif

Offline Gefa

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »
For Portable Bubble, have you copied the "python" directory in the root of your memory stick? ;)

Offline mrfyda

• NEO newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
Nice game, but if I were you I’d add other languages (at least English).

Sorry but I think you missed this:
Features:
Battle System
Online Score
Multi-Language

PSPokémon is translated into 5 languages...  ~sm-64.gif~.gif
So why LO: 0 ?

Offline Nacho Cuesta

• NEO Coding Compo 2010 Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 06:43:07 PM »
Hi, I just wanna notice that Duyumania is in two languages, Spanish and English.

Edit: thanks for the correction and matching the highest score  ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:25:44 PM by Nacho Cuesta »

Offline ds

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »
In Breakout! (DS) there are two little mistakes (don't affect overall rating):
12. Breakout! 55/100
Mi: 10 ( LT: 5, B:5, LO: 5)

There is no music, only Effects (I think you wrote it down the other way around)
And, Mi is 15 afaik (5 + 5 + 5...  ~sm-64.gif~.gif), but correct in overall rating.

:)

Edit: Thanks for changing :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:16:06 PM by ds »

Offline Jovin

• NEO newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 09:38:16 PM »
Thanks for you review.

But I want to say that in "Chapas GP" some messages like "LAST LAP", "RACE RESULTS"... are in others languages (Italian, French, German, Spanish). Depending on your system configuration.