Author Topic: Sega CD Multi region instructions!  (Read 22332 times)

Offline tobio

• NEO newbie
Sega CD Multi region instructions!
« on: October 07, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »
It is advertised that the neomyth cart can enable the Mega CD to be multi region by choosing a bios from the same country that matches the game you are trying to run.  The manager software includes a utility to generate myth compatible bios files to use.

The pack comes with 3 bios for mega CD1 (USA/JAP/PAL) and only 2 for mega CD2 (USA/PAL) Meaning as an owner of a megaCD2 I was unable to play japanese games  :(
I obtained the bios file for the megaCD2 japanese version, patched it with the utility and put it to the cart and I can successfully boot un-modified japanese segaCD games on my PAL mega CD!  ::sm-14.gif::

so to elaborate on the instructions provided..
1.  you will need to run a patched bios that matches the hardware that you own.  Sega CD2 bioses will not work on Sega CD1 machines and vice versa.  This is due to differences in the tray loading mechanisms.
2.  Create for yourself using the tools 2 bios files for each other region that you want to run.  you can rename the files then to tell them apart.  I call mine SCD_USA.bin and SCD_JAP  these files should be 16Mb roms instead of their original 1Mb size
3. If the patching is successful the game will boot after the sega logo.  If it is unsuccessful it will return to the sega CD bios screen.  If the region of disc is incorrect it will enter the CD player
It has worked successfully for me with every game I have tried on unmodified PAL hardware (except for one which I will explain afterwards)
4.  In theory (please can someone out there try this out and post your results!!!) this should also work with the bios files from wondermega/multi mega machines again if you obtain the bios files from these hardwares.

*Notes.  the one game I tried that didn't work so far was Sega CD corpse Killer 32X version usa.  I believe this is because although the region for the segaCD has been set to USA, the region for my 32X remains at PAL and it is already known that the myth can't yet patch 32x game regions.  Therefore this method carries the exact same limitations as the rest of the mega drive library, playing NTSC games on PAL systems and vice versa may run into speed differences glitches or import protections.  This is programmed into the games themselves and not a limitation of the myth hardware, for best compatibility you should either modify your genesis and 32x with a 50/60Hz switch, or stick to your own region of games for full compatibility.

I will make some youtube videos demonstrating the process for my website soon.  In the mean time I hope this information helps anyone trying to achieve multi region sega mega cd without modifying their consoles.

--Tobiko--
Flying Fish

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Re: Sega CD Multi region instructions!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:54:47 PM »
Cool!  :D
 ~sm-72.gif~.gif ... Stickied!  8)

Offline madmonkey

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:12:08 PM »
my tool patches bios automatically on write :)
there is also a region-free bios http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-md/Russell-region-free-cd-bios.bin

Offline Fab

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
hey what does that mean? Every time i wanna play a japanese  ~sm-35.gif~ game I have to flash the bios or could I then also play the US / Pal games after the flash ?

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 08:50:14 AM »
hey what does that mean? Every time i wanna play a japanese  ~sm-35.gif~ game I have to flash the bios or could I then also play the US / Pal games after the flash ?

You can load the SCD BIOS from SD card like any other rom. You can also burn multiple BIOSes to flash and select the one to run from the menu.

Remember that patching the region check (or using a region free bios) will not take care of any NTSC/PAL issues. A PAL CD that is written to only work on a PAL MD/MCD would need to be patched to work on an NTSC system. Hopefully the CDs you want to run only need the region bypass.

Offline Fab

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 03:56:17 AM »
EDIT: it works now... using the md plugin tools and patching the bios. !!! Great stuff

I can not boot any japanese Sega CD Game :(

my Setup:

Japanese Model 1 Mega drive
PAL Sega CD Model 2

what should I do? I've loaded a japanese mcd2 bios but only a image appears no moving logo etc...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 05:48:22 AM by Fab »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 08:00:43 AM »
Probably the BIOS... I only have the v1 Jap BIOS, which works fine on my CDX. I've not seen a patched Jap v2 BIOS.

Offline Fab

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 04:14:32 PM »
I've not seen a patched Jap v2 BIOS.

found one no probles so far.

but how does the saving mechanism works ? When I play normal without the myth card the SAVES are being saved internally on the CD unit itself right?!

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 03:16:48 AM »
That's part of something I haven't figured out yet... you can use the Myth for SCD Backup RAM, or you can use it for a custom BIOS; there's supposed to be a mode that does both, but I'm not sure how it works... if it works at all. The internal save in the SCD is always available, even when using the Myth as BRAM. You'll see the internal BRAM as INTERNAL BRAM, and the Myth as CART BRAM, or something like that.

Offline murdiaries

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 04:35:25 AM »
Hi guys, for some strange reasons I can't seem to have any of the bioses work. They display a still image and that's about it.
I've used Conle's tool for SYSTEM bios creation (and Dr.NEO's as well).
Can be my cart not supporting it? (I've got the very first HW of NEO cart,with 512M flash as a tester)

Anyone sharing their working JAP bioses would be much appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: It literally freeze up, without any sound or jingle. PAL and US bioses too have the same result when booting up.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:29:03 AM by murdiaries »

Offline tobio

• NEO newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 04:59:32 AM »
That sounds more likely to be a mismatch between the bios file and the model of mega-cd you have rather than the neo-cart.  I have a mega-CD2 and I get those symptoms when I load mega-CD1 bios files.  Try and find the same bios version and region that matches what you have (look at the date when you turn on your mega-cd with no cart in), and then work from there to try other regions. 

Other than that you could try looking for the rom of a game called flux.  this was a music visualizer game for mega-drive that played visuals to whatever audio cd was in the mega cd.  That would show the connection is good between your neo-cart and the CD unit.

Offline theretromike

• NEO newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »
Here is a link for the Japanese bios Model 2 :

http://emu-russia.net/en/dl_files/bios/c1ce665afae7fdd2f51ffaf60396a59b/MCD2J_BIOS.rar

Also, just a question :
I have some trouble with Mortal Kombat (Jap), the FMV intro is not showing (black screen), but the music is here.
But after the intro, the game works great.

I was wondering if there is any trouble Japanese FMV game, but unfortunately, I don't have another Japanese MCD game with FMV.
Do you have the same problem ?

Offline saxabar

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 08:45:15 AM »
Hi guys, for some strange reasons I can't seem to have any of the bioses work. They display a still image and that's about it.

Happens to mee too using the cart but is working from the SD. Maybe a problem with the MD plugin...

Offline Shurn

• NEO newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 09:36:44 AM »
what is the tool to patch the sega cd bios's? i cant find it.