Author Topic: Neomyth SD mod inside a original game cartridge  (Read 5059 times)

Offline zenloc

• NEO newbie
Neomyth SD mod inside a original game cartridge
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:10:54 AM »
He everybody. I'm a known modder in the retro portable making scene. And I have made plenty of n64 portables. Check http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1667 to links of my facebook page with pics.

Here is my latest model. The N64 Mini Revision 3:

Now I'm modding a neomyth with neo pro sd in a normal original cartridge. I will also create a new label to fit the cartridge.

Here are some pics:

Now I already soldered the 6105 cic lockout chip and removed the cartridge connector and everything works fine. I further continued to remove the gba port and wire the sd neo pro directly to the neomyth. But now it will load to the neomyth menu but see no games in the flash nor will it see them on the sd card. When I connect the neomyth to my computer the game flashing program does not see the flashcart. My soldering is perfect and I have made no bridges. When I remove it and put it in like normal everything works fine again.

I'm not sure if anybody can help me here but it seems the neomyth does not like to be soldered to. Does anybody have some insight on this and maybe a solution??

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:20:32 PM by zenloc »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: Neomyth SD mod inside a original game cartridge
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
That is an odd problem, but all I can think of that would be wrong would be bad connection, bridged connection, or maybe even backwards. There should be no difference to the Myth or the cart for being in a connector versus soldering wires in place of the connector... unless maybe your wires were too long. The length of wiring can affect timing, so (exaggeration) a one foot cable would cause problems where a .2" leaf in the connector would not.

EDIT: Maybe the gauge of the wires? Try 22 gauge instead of 30, for example. That's particularly important for ground and power connections.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:57:00 AM by ChillyWilly »

Offline zenloc

• NEO newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »
Yeah that's the only thing I could think off too. I'll rewire it with a higher gauge can see if it makes any difference. Would be awesome if I can get it work. I'll then be able to make a N64pocket which will have the neomyth built in.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:01:41 PM »
Yeah, it would be AWESOME!!  ~sm-66.gif~.gif

By the way, your work looks really good. I hope you do get it working - that looks to be a freakin' sweet portable.  8)

Offline sanni

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »
Sorry for not contributing to the topics original question but I have some questions myself I like to ask, hope you don't mind:

Was it very hard to trim the board so it fits inside?
Did you by any chance make some photos of the trimmed pcb?

Offline zenloc

• NEO newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »
No not hard at all really. Only a couple of wires that need to be rewired and everything will be working again. I had some pics but can't find them anymore. I'm going to go and make some new ones in a couple of days. I'll also be done with it I think so you'll see the finished product.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
Can't contribute much to the thread either   ~sm-70.gif~.gif  , ...but this is looking really cool!  :D