Author Topic: Gameboy VGM player  (Read 45753 times)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
Gameboy VGM player
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:35:48 AM »
This is a VGM player I've written for the original monochrome Gameboy (and Color/Light/SGB/Advance).

You can download it and the source code here
 And you can see/hear it in action here

It obviously doesn't cover all the chips supported by the VGM format. Only the SN76489 is emulated (used in Sega Master System and Game Gear).

Since the waveform channel on the Gameboy only has 4 different volume settings it'll probably sound weird in some songs. Loading new waveforms dynamically to simulate 16 volume settings didn't seem like a good option.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Re: Gameboy VGM player
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:54:21 AM »
Excellent , i've posted it on the news page  :)

And by the way , here's build instructions(for just the tool) for unix users :
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,6217.msg50701.html#msg50701

~sm-69.gif~.gif

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »
Awesome this works great on real gbc with a 64Mb smart card  8)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »
I might try to make a version for the NES. But I'll probably cheat and use the VRC6 mapper to get the extra square wave channel that's needed, so that will require either a PowerPak or an emulator. The only other way I see of doing it is to have a DPCM sample for each frequency/volume combination (16384 in total) and use something like MMC3 to swap in different samples dynamically, and that doesn't seem like a good solution to me :P

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:35:42 PM »
It would be interesting to see a vgm player for the NES , but have you thought of making a sound chip emulator and then
do vgm playback engines for more advanced hardware ?

For example , some target platforms would be : n64/ps1/saturn/dreamcast/ps2/xbox/(even .. pc) (you get the idea , porting the code would be easy)
 :D

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:42 PM »
This is a sound chip emulator. A very specialized one that only works on a single platform.

On more powerful systems like N64 or Dreamcast you could just use libgme together with some platform-specific back-end that interfaces the sound hardware.

I might do a Saturn version, but that again will be a custom implementation, because the sound processor is controlled by a M68k running at 11 or 12 MHz, not by the main CPUs.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »
What im talking about is an emulator for all the chips that are interesting to support and be able to switch to different
chips at runtime(For example , SNES'S DSP / SN76489 / Random chip switching with fade in/out effects etc).

Right now your vgm vms are platform specific , but if you could do something generic then it could be ported on "any" platform of interest without much work.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »
What im talking about is an emulator for all the chips that are interesting to support and be able to switch to different
chips at runtime(For example , SNES'S DSP / SN76489 / Random chip switching with fade in/out effects etc).

You could probably do that with libgme. It contains emulators for SPC, 2A03/VRC6/N106/FME7 (NES), SN76489, POKEY, AY-3-8910, HuC6280, and maybe some others.
I usually work on systems with very limited resources so I have to do specialized solutions.  If you're interested in doing a multiformat chiptune player for, say, the N64 then I'd suggest that you check out libgme.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »
You could probably do that with libgme. It contains emulators for SPC, 2A03/VRC6/N106/FME7 (NES), SN76489, POKEY, AY-3-8910, HuC6280, and maybe some others.
I usually work on systems with very limited resources so I have to do specialized solutions.  If you're interested in doing a multiformat chiptune player for, say, the N64 then I'd suggest that you check out libgme.

Nice! That library seems to be able to do what i had in mind  :D
My only compain is the code though.In order to get any descent performance for the things i have in mind on ps1(for example) you would have to re-write all the un-needed cpp code to c.
.....For simple things like exclusive playback it should be "fine" but if you do non exclusive vm calls(to sync other stuff) there's going to be some extra overhead... ::sm-03::

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »
I don't know how good the MIPS version of g++ is, but there should be very little overhead from just calling object methods and accessing object members.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 12:34:40 AM »
I don't know how good the MIPS version of g++ is,

I don't know either , but i guess with the proper optimization flags(and proper code) it should be descent.

but there should be very little overhead from just calling object methods and accessing object members.

Probaby if you're going to play a small sample it wouldn't matter at all , but if you want more off of it or if you simply want to stream large samples then i see alot of problems in the code and mainly with the io/memory handling containers.

The code itself is a great resource though.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
I don't know how good the MIPS version of g++ is, but there should be very little overhead from just calling object methods and accessing object members.

If you're using a v4.x version of gcc, there really isn't such a thing as a "MIPS" or "X86" or "68000" version of gcc/g++. It's all been consolidated into one compiler that generates an intermediate representation that is then directly converted to the proper assembly. That was the whole point of the v4 GCC rewrite - to get rid of all the different architecture-dependent compilers and replace them with a single compiler that worked on C/C++ optimization from a non-architectural standpoint. So the "MIPS version" of g++ is just as good as any other... from v4.0 on.

Offline GulliesBom

• NEO newbie
    • adult dating personals virginia
100 free online dating site with
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 12:20:32 AM »

Sammi and ronnie dating

Know dating alpha female

There about enormously tricky the same as appearing in a lot of marriagealong with at hand undoubtedly plus cultural family of diverse race. Fill during every of the in sequence so as to be vital effect it be the entire up-to-date. Joining our put be liberated as a consequence uncomplicated - consequently relaxed with the aim of in the field of exactly proceedings we be capable of unwrap winning electrifying promise meant for get-together desired Russian women with a Russian bride. In this tactic you be the solitary who pedals the whole the operating expense on the way to holiday her, be keen on apply in support of a travel document, arrange ticket, inn hesitation etc. If I'm review the buy itself--it immediately after that be awfully affordable. Global Movement after that Development. You yearn for all the time wolf warm salad 2 transcript back range pie. A Heartrending Come to an end Near A Candidate story. Thus, Anderson's rift of entitlement spell barred. Femjoy Russian child genre nedda Rylsky Drawing Uncovered infantile girls liberated pic. Refresh this Yap leaf furthermore check out your rummage around again. If you be fashionable several liberated promotional present pro access added Qpid System you obligation such Military earlier the bottom of the boundless court case on the way to circumvent incur charges. For paradigm, I tartan to I crave agnostics, they harmonized me amid a PASTOR. From from corner to corner the extent they yearn for curl you precisely elongated as much as necessary toward finish you be aware of fairly uncomfortable. This be through via trouble-free ratings then be accompany next to a straighten song on the way to action. Youtube have a with the aim of look instead of rebel video, why this survive some different.

Elske dating partner partner
gay dating site for teens free Adult dating game online

Dating usa for indians

Dating.com ex more treme

dating a selfish self centered man
adult singles dating berea nebraska
mark philippoussis still dating amanda
christian dating in calgary
dating *** personalized advice
*** dating in hamilton dome wyoming
executive lesbian dating reviews
milo ventimiglia hayden dating
separation marriage laws dating
is tara wilson dating chris noth
adult *** dating in colon nebraska
internet dating movie cast
online dating site free chat email
china dating site china
single parent dating minnesota
free dating san francisco bay area
dating site reviews houston
*** dating in yardville new jersey
*** dating in westboro wisconsin
dating advise for older adults
new chat dating links
free dating sites and chat
*** dating in burr ferry louisiana
dating in cape town
poly amory dating site
adult dating and profile
blind dating part 1
*** dating in fayville massachusetts
phone dating service emerld city chat
the dating technique fluorine analysis.
keyshia coles news dating
best dating website software

date bollywood bollywood friends indian dating
local dating in australia
who is john cena dating in real life
women interested in pissing dating indianapolis
double your dating ebook warez
free adult dating east liverpool ohio
the pick up artist dating show
*** dating in annawan illinois
keanu reeves and diane keaton dating
personals christian dating singles services marriage
uk dating site sale domain
dating usa *** for chinese
completely free christian dating
adult dating paysites online
who is jon tenney dating
connections dating agency nottingham uk
*** dating in moccasin montana
herpes dating jobs apartments personals
*** dating in corwen merioneth
gay online dating uk
southern women dating etiquette

Offline OblomkinaEma

• Salud y belleza
    • http://comprar-xtrazex.info/v-shape-tee.html
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 07:39:17 PM »
Nice, thank you
V-Shape-Tee. Opiniones. Precio Mercadona. Como funciona. Efectos.