Author Topic: [SNES] MegaFamilyBros V1.0  (Read 22783 times)

Offline dieudunet

• dieudunet
[SNES] MegaFamilyBros V1.0
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »
Nickname: dieudunet
Projet name: MegaFamilyBros
Division: Retro GAME
Platform: SNES
Original enter: YES
Support Motion: NO

Project description:

This game was designed to be Action/Jumping game (some mix between Mario and Megaman).It is my first project in ASM, the main goal was to analyse exactly how people develop game in the old (but beautifull) times.
All Sprites and tiles sheets have been ripped from existing games (i'm not a graphics designer :D), the same for music.

I know there is still some little bug, the game is playable :D

Gameplay :

The goal is easy. Avoid dying and kill the boss. There is 3 differents level, but only 1 boss.
The level 0 is easy
The level 1 is more difficult
The level 2 is really, really more difficult :D

You can kill foe using Jump (A) or Shoot (B)
Each Shoot cost 1 money (everythings has a price)
You can exchange Gold for Heart (10 gold needed) or sacrifice Heart for Gold (10 gold earned),it 's up to you to decide.

As I have only show this game to my children, I will be very happy to see your remarks about the game/gameplay/glitch

Feel free to give your opinion but keep in mind than doing a full game in ASM on SNES was really a huge work.

The Source Code will be release on http://dieudunet.free.fr at the end of august.

Thank you

PS : The game was tested on all emulator, run well. and tested on Meo Myth cart on the real SNES Hardware, works perfectly (push the Low Rom option).

SMC download : http://dieudunet.free.fr/media/blogs/DdnBlog/megafamilybros.zip

Youtube Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3HcjTFze4

Technical Reference : http://dieudunet.free.fr/media/blogs/DdnBlog/documentationdraft.zip

ScreenShot :

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:06:35 PM by dieudunet »
C is for N00b
ASM rules

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
Re: [SNES] MegaFamilyBros V1.0
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
Nice to see a SNES entry. Funny seeing all those sprites from different games together. I haven't tried the game yet.

How did you make the video? Sounds like the audio was recorded with a really bad camera microphone.

Offline dieudunet

• dieudunet
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Yes sorry, it was actually record with an ugly External Micro.

It's funny but the sound is really better on the real hardware :D
C is for N00b
ASM rules

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »
Well done , this is refreshing  ~sm-76.gif~.gif

It's funny but the sound is really better on the real hardware

Pay attention to the bottom right region of the video that you've uploaded. The emulator is having hard time to keep in sync.

Offline Aleomark

• Just a gamer!
    • El otro lado
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 03:06:25 AM »
Don't worry I'll test all games and apps on real hadware

Offline dieudunet

• dieudunet
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 04:49:27 AM »
the VSync is quite strange on bsnes. On real hardware, I don't see any VSync trouble. I suppose the emulator is still not perfect. With zsnesw they is no trouble.
C is for N00b
ASM rules

Offline Kojote

• PDRoms - Homebrew for you!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
SNES homebrew is always great :) Maybe you can get support to exchange the graphics to something own and unique - that would be the chocolate powder on the cappucino :)
Kojote

http://www.pdroms.de - Daily news for plenty of homebrew enabled consoles and handhelds!
http://www.retroguru.com - Emulation News Aggregator

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 06:04:08 AM »
looks awesome, makes you wonder what graphics are possible on the snes

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.

Offline KungFuFurby

• NEO newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »
I myself am a fan of SNES games, and there hasn't been a lot of recent SNES games.  ::sm-29.gif::  I also can compose some SNES music if you're looking for some original SNES music (I've done it before).

The only real bug that I saw (don't know if this is on real hardware) is that you wrap around if you fall into a bottomless pit.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:43:07 PM by KungFuFurby »

Offline dieudunet

• dieudunet
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 08:19:08 PM »
Thank you, that's a nice proposition.

But I will need some time to be able to program a complete sound engine for the Sound processor of the snes, currently I have just include a SPC player....

I will begin to work on that Sound engine beginning of september, my first idea is to include it in the next Shoot em up I'm preparing for the Snes (maybe Retro Compo 2012 :D ).

We can keep in touch by mail if you want. I will tell you when the sound processor is ready (depending of google support :D)

C is for N00b
ASM rules

Offline KungFuFurby

• NEO newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 12:26:47 AM »
Ironically, I already sent you an actual e-mail message. You might want to check that (if it isn't in your spam folder).

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 01:41:04 AM »
I finally tested this on real hardware today. The music played fine. The controls were responsive. It could use a pause button. It would be good if I could use A or B to start the game/resume from death but I know lots of console games force the player to push Start. It runs fast, very smooth. I was able to jump on enemies or shoot them. During one of my games, the game'n'watch guys eyes weren't displayed, so he was just all black.

B is missing from Bravo and S is missing from Score (maybe just didn't display properly). I tested on a PAL SNES.

The bullets wrap from left to right on the boss level (I used that feature to kill the boss).

I will play it some more. I thought there was only one level but I guess I just missed the level select.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:46:05 AM by Sektor »

Offline dieudunet

• dieudunet
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 02:53:46 AM »
Hello and thank you for your feedback.

yes, there is still some bug inside. but very hard to fix (wla-dx is a weird compiler)  so I'm currently re doing the whole game (I have changed the compiler :D )

You can access level 1 and 2 on the screen with the "LEvel 0" sentence. just use Up and Down to choose your level.

But as I cannot clean the SPC sound memory, you must Reboot your Snes if you want to hear the different music of the level.

I really thank you for your feedback, it's a pleasure to see someone playing my game.
C is for N00b
ASM rules

Offline dieudunet

• dieudunet
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »
Hello everybody,

For people interested. I have upload the Code of this game on my blog:

http://dieudunet.free.fr/

This code was done for discovering the Snes assembly development. So it is not a clean code :D.

C is for N00b
ASM rules

Offline Aaendi

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 07:50:57 AM »
This is looks pretty cool.  I was working on a Gunstar Heroes clone for the SNES last year.  It had some pretty impressive animation, but I couldn't finish it because my codes were unorganized.