Author Topic: [NDS GAME] Flyin'  (Read 14689 times)

Offline ds

[NDS GAME] Flyin'
« on: August 21, 2011, 05:35:30 AM »
Nickname: ds
Project Name: Flyin'
Division: RETRO GAME
Platform: NDS
Original Enter: YES
Support Motion: NO
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10: NO
Download: Attatchment or http://rapidshare.com/files/479426960/flyin1.0.zip (old)
Current version available at the bottom of this thread

After many issues (downtime) with this website, it seems to work now...

Project description:
A multi-language (currently English and German, depending on User's preferences) 3D game with little in-game manual...
Control a fly, discover the levels, find the green sphere. But make sure you don't collide with walls, objects, etc, as that wouldn't be healthy for the fly... and you would need to start the level again.
Use the touchscreen to rotate the fly (touch, drag into a direction and hold touchpen on the screen), it accelerates by itself. Red spheres will brake the fly on collision, in most levels you migt also use the L and/or R Key to reduce speed, but only for a limited time (see bar at the bottom of the topscreen).
If you want to pause the game, restart the level or return to menu, press START.

Feel free to contact me if you're willing to design some levels (my current tools convert Wavefront OBJ with BMP UV-Mapped textures, so for example with the free Blender), I'm thinking about implementing a load level from file possibility ;)

How to use:
Download...Unzip...Copy...Play...

In theory Flyin' will create the needed folder "/data/flyin", if saving game progress won't work, try to create it manually (tested on R4).

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:51:41 PM by ds »

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
Re: [NDS GAME] Flyin'
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »
I must say... I love your menu ! :-* It really looks awesome.  ~sm-60.gif~.gif
The game itself also looks pretty nice, although it's a shame the textures aren't more detailed; but that's the DS for you heh  ::sm-25.gif::
Gameplay is a little hard though, I never really know where I'm supposed to go, so I'm stuck on the second level after hitting the red sphere thing.  ::sm-21.gif::

Good luck in the competition, keep up the good work. :)

Offline ds

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »
I must say... I love your menu ! :-* It really looks awesome.  ~sm-60.gif~.gif
The game itself also looks pretty nice, although it's a shame the textures aren't more detailed; but that's the DS for you heh  ::sm-25.gif::

Thanks  :) - as you might have guessed I use all vram main banks as texure already, but for pre-baked textures 512x512 is quite less space...

Gameplay is a little hard though, I never really know where I'm supposed to go, so I'm stuck on the second level after hitting the red sphere thing.  ::sm-21.gif::

You should try using the shoulder keys to reduce your velocity - and rotate around to see where the way continues :D
On the position you're stuck the contrast isn't that high because of the texture quality; after the red sphere the way continues to the left. ::sm-17.gif::

Offline ds

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:22:08 AM »
As there was a pm asking me about my call for level designer, I completed Flyin' LDK (Level Design Kit). You can download it at https://rapidshare.com/files/758736236/FlyinLDK.zip. It contains:
A Level Generator Application to build Flyin' levels
A Flyin 1.1 BETA build able to load levels from fat (Folder: /data/flyin), there are no other changes so there is no need to download if you don't want to design levels. Edit: 1.1 FINAL is available now, you should use it instead of the included beta.
The Wavefront OBJ and Bitmap files for the first level (The Attic), and a level generator project file you might use to generate it's levelfile (hint: as it uses relative paths, extract the archive and generate into the same path, or the generator will hang).

Some hints about the Flyin' Engine and its limitations:
One Layer (part of the level you need to export separately) can have up to 8 units in height, width and depth (but you can have theoretically unlimited layers). Each Layer needs a UV Wrapped Texture; I used the bake feature in every level (include shadows and lighting in texture -> ds has no direct shadow support, and I got best results with that). A (square) texture can be up to 256x256, other tested values are 128x128, 64x64, 8x8. Not tested, but likely working are non-square textures, possible values for width and height are 8,64,128,256,512 or 1024. I'd recommend using square textures, because I tested them.
All textures together must be smaller than 512*512 Pixels (because of nds's video ram). So you could, for example like in the warehouse level use three 256x256 textures and a 128x128 texture (3*256x256+128x128=212,992 -> smaller than 512*512=262,144).
The nds can only display 2048 Triangles in a frame, you should make sure that there is no way to display more in a frame (so be low-poly, sight length is 4 units, faces with one vertex outside won't be drawn).
For the official levels I used a scale of ca. 1 unit = 2 meters.
The OBJ must contain normals, although I don't use them. Just check the box while exporting! Because of backside culling you should make sure your normals are on the correct side, through.
Some Facts you might need to know:
-> There are layers, each layer can be displayed and/or cause collisions (so you might have a object with a medium poly count to draw in one displayed layer, and with low poly count in a layer causing collisions, as too many collision faces will cause Flyin' to be slow).
-> Layers might be static or animated. Animated layers might contain single frame's meshes or will use default animations: Move in a direction, Move in a direcion and back.
-> Layer animations can be looped or triggered (caused by the fly to be in a specific area).

-> Green and Red Spheres are not part of layers, they will get generated on-the-fly (hey, a pun!). You need only to specify its position in level converter.
-> Each level has a starting point, also being set by the level converter.
-> Each level has a clear color drawn in areas without faces (because of sight). See for example the cave level (gray) and the attic (black).

...and the pre-defined Animations I spoke about are:
Moving: Move with a speed in a direction, reset after a number of frames
Vibrating: Move with a speed in a direction, change direction after a specific distance (width);  width can be configured for every dimension (x,y,z).
Trigger: Like Moving, but starts after the fly enters a Trigger Area, and won't reset; the animation just stops after the time.
Animated: Use animation with single frames (naming like the example level: as blender does it when exporting wavefront animation)
Animated-Trigger: like Animated, but starting when the fly enters a Trigger Area, and won't loop.

If something is not clear (and I'm quite sure I forgot to mention something, but I don't know what it is...  :'( ) feel free to ask  :)
I hope for some tasty levels  :D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:59:53 PM by ds »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
RabidSwear link doesn't work with current version of Firefox.  >:D

I've never cared for RabidSwear, as you might have guessed. Use a better service that works better.

EDIT: Doesn't work with Chromium, either. Basically, you don't get the free download link, only the pay links.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:50:33 PM by ChillyWilly »

Offline ds

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 05:27:31 PM »
RabidSwear link doesn't work with current version of Firefox.  >:D

I've never cared for RabidSwear, as you might have guessed. Use a better service that works better.

EDIT: Doesn't work with Chromium, either. Basically, you don't get the free download link, only the pay links.
I never had any problems with Rapidshare, and this file seems to work for me (also free user) in FF - but here it is as Attatchment.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:30:06 PM by ds »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 06:26:50 AM »
Thanks. I'm running the FF 6 beta, but Chromium is the regular release version and they both have the same trouble - no ability for free download. Probably RabidSwear programming for IE again, and maybe an older version of FF just happens to work. I hate when web pages code for IE without testing against other browsers...

Offline blastyrant

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
i don't mess with those sites directly any more. i use JDownloader. it was easy to grab the file using that tool.

Offline ds

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »
THIS POST IS NOT PART OF THE COMPO! (I just have no homepage to post updates, so I'll use this forum)

New Version: 1.1
Download: Attatchment or http://rapidshare.com/files/2181255436/Flyin1.1.zip (old)
Changes:
  • Added support for LDK (see above for information and download of LDK)
  • Added Fog effect to smooth end of sight
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:34:48 PM by ds »

Offline ds

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »
If somebody is interested in having Flyin' in his/her locale, feel free to request access to Flyin's locale at http://mygengo.com/string/p/flyin-1/.
I can only accept locales available in the DS menu and displayable with ASCII characters, these are: French, Italian and Spanish.

Offline ds

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 11:32:14 PM »
THIS POST IS NOT PART OF THE COMPO! (I just have no homepage to post updates, so I'll use this forum)

New Version: 1.1.1
Download: Attatchment or http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lap6mqzo8e3owax
Changes:
  • Added Spanish Translation, thanks to Roham
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:39:38 PM by ds »

Offline blastyrant

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:33:45 PM »
i playing an old build of this today. i'm really happy to see that you posted an update back in january. keep them coming!

Offline KobyMcWilliams

• NEO newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 04:01:37 PM »
The project you are working on is really good and I think such kinds of projects do happen with having the help of others because no one is perfect. Everyone needs someone to help them in their difficulty. Now you can check this https://www.besttranslationservices.com/our-services website for more new ideas and techniques. So I hope soon you will get someone to help you in developing this game fully, by the way, your post is very inspirational.