Author Topic: Can't play 256mbit games from sd (Neo 2 Pro)  (Read 63365 times)

Offline Lordik

• NEO newbie
Can't play 256mbit games from sd (Neo 2 Pro)
« on: November 14, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
Hi all. Before i'll start about the problem, i'll let you know what i have and tried.
I have a NEO N64 Myth + NEO2 Pro 1024M SD, NTSC N64, 4GB class 10 Transcend SDHC, and 2GB micro sd san disk with adapter.
The n64 myth cart is V3A PCB, CPLD V5, the menu is either 2.2 or 2.4.
Now, the problem is that every 256mbit (32MB) Games refuses to work no matter what i do, it loads the game all the way and then freezes at the end, just when it's supposed to boot, it does work if i run it from flash, but not from sd card. It works with 128mbit games and lower, only 256mbit causes problems.
I tried formatting with neomanager, didn't help, Tried with neocmd, it says there are 2 bad blocks from 1024, but doesn't help too, I tried a different game connected to the back of the myth cart, but doesn't help.
The weird thing is that the 256mbit games used to work just fine from sd, but all of a sudden they just won't work.
The myth cart did cause me problems like this in the past, even with 128 mbit games, but the problems usually went away without doing anything.
what could be the problem? and more importantly, what can i do to fix the problem?

Offline Lordik

• NEO newbie
Re: Can't play 256mbit games from sd (Neo 2 Pro)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »
Forgot to mention that i tried changing from .fast to .slow, Also didn't help.
Tried reformatting the sd cards with different allocation unit size, also didn't do good.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:49:58 AM »
The weird thing is that the 256mbit games used to work just fine from sd, but all of a sudden they just won't work.

Sounds like (partially)"broken" zipram.
Conact with the shop & make use of the one year guarantee to get your item fixed...

Offline Lordik

• NEO newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:32:29 AM »
I'm trying to contact ic2005 but the damn site keeps saying that i entered a wrong verification code even though i can see clearly that i entered it correctly.
I tried writing it from left to right and vice versa, and nada.
Is there anyone here that's connected to ic2005 that i can talk to?

Offline Lordik

• NEO newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:56:02 AM »
Well, after opening the cart i noticed something strange that leads me to believe i got a refurbished item, i included some pictures.
what is the wire that shows in the pictures? never saw it in any other neomyth cart.

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 11:02:57 AM »
Sounds like (partially)"broken" zipram.
Conact with the shop & make use of the one year guarantee to get your item fixed...

hi conle, can you send him the new n64 psram test code to let him test the psram by himself? not need guess it because we just have the test code done  ::sm-23.gif::
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 11:10:31 AM »
Well, after opening the cart i noticed something strange that leads me to believe i got a refurbished item, i included some pictures.
what is the wire that shows in the pictures? never saw it in any other neomyth cart.

[1] it's not refurbish, ALL v3A have this wire and one add-on resister on it, don't doubt this point please.
[2] you can use our lastest psram self-test code to test the 256m psram,i don't think it's teh psram issue.
[3] if the psram self-test passed, then will be the firmware issue, you need update the firmware to the last v6.0 version --- http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,7189.0.html
if you don't want to upgrade by yourself,you can send back us,we will update for you, but recommend to you get a NDP is very useful with all neo product future update.

Offline Lordik

• NEO newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »
If you mean the psram write/read on the neo2 manager, i already tried it, and it passed.
where do i send it to?

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 12:21:02 AM »
hi conle, can you send him the new n64 psram test code to let him test the psram by himself? not need guess it because we just have the test code done  ::sm-23.gif::

Sure , here is 2.5+HW SELF TEST , although the best psram test is actually to burn a game on it since when its diffective it might mirrors the banks...

Anyway , this psram test uses Mersenne Twister random generator for every long write and different seed for each "bank" so it should be real close to real usage senarios.

Usage:
-Power on the console
-Hold L+R+Z
-Press A to accept
-Now read the onscreen instructions , but basically you should press "A" to start the PSRAM test.Pressing 'B' goes into the SRAM test mode.

What i believe that is happening : Chances  are that psram is defective and mirrors the lower block OR you need core update 6.0 which fixes some issues with SD timing on some consoles (but because you've tried the "slow reading" mode , this is (probably ) not the case)....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:26:13 AM by Conle »

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »
If you mean the psram write/read on the neo2 manager, i already tried it, and it passed.
where do i send it to?

sound good, it mean you just need update the n64 firmware to the last v6 version, ic2005 will give you the address to ship back for upgrade soon.

thanks

Offline Lordik

• NEO newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 04:39:14 AM »
Screw it, i sold the damn cart, way too much headaches.

Offline kel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 06:47:51 AM »
I am also having this problem. 256Mb games used to work but now for some reason they just hang after loading.

I have the latest firmware 6.0 and the latest menu 2.4. I have also tried the 2.5+HW SELF TEST with option A and it passed both 0-16MB and 16-32MB although I tried option B and then A to test the Myth carts SRAM and that failed.

I don't know what else to try now. Any idea why 256Mb games are not working naymore?

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 02:33:30 PM »
I am also having this problem. 256Mb games used to work but now for some reason they just hang after loading.

I have the latest firmware 6.0 and the latest menu 2.4. I have also tried the 2.5+HW SELF TEST with option A and it passed both 0-16MB and 16-32MB .

I don't know what else to try now. Any idea why 256Mb games are not working naymore?

Give a try to this fresh build from my source tree.This fixes (literally) 1 character bug in timeout handling which might be getting triggered on some SDCs.

If that still doesn't work , and before you send your cart back , make sure to try the following:
-Try to see if this happens with core 3.0
-Backup your save directory(menu/n64/save) and test different menu versions starting from 1.9 up to 2.3(No need to burn anything using the programmer , just place the NEON64SD files on the root of your SDC and load them like you would do with a game rom...)

although I tried option B and then A to test the Myth carts SRAM and that failed.
Ignore NEO2-SRAM test.Only care for the ONBOARD SRAM.
Also the test is splitted in two passes :
First you have to do a WRITE test (this is pass #1) , then turn off/on the console and apply the READ test(pass #2).

Do not care much about battery state though.ALL saves go into your /menu/n64 folder , so even if your battery is dead , you can just do a reset to menu or INSTANT hard-power off/on.

Offline kel

• NEO newbie
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 01:47:44 AM »
Hi, Tanks for the quick reponse.

I tried your new build and I noticed that it loaded the game in two parts but unfortunatly it didn't help.

I noticed the problem whilst on core 3.0 so I upgraded to 6.0 to see if it would fix the problem but it didn't.

I've tried going back to 1.9 and 2.0b1 and 2.2 but the problem was still there.

I'm not quite sure when the problem first started as I haven't used the cart for a while. I know that when I first got it it was on a firmware below 3.0 and it worked fine, then I upgraded it to 3.0 and sometime after that they stopped working but I'm not sure when.

It looks like I did the SRAM test wrong, I didn't do the write test first but I wasn't to bothered about it failing because I thought the SRAM would not be important with regards to this problem.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 02:57:50 AM »
Alright then , i think that its a HW issue , but here's something to try(look at the attachment).

Try to load a .n64 or .z64 256Mbit game with it and see if it hangs.
I've added a small branch that compares the sector data with the one written on PSRAM.

What to expect:
-If it dies in a loop it means that it reads back garbage.
-If the progress bar reaches the end and then you get the hang then the core wraps all writes to bank#2 back to bank#1. (This is bad and means that the core fails to identify the cart as 256Mbit  and that's why you can only load up to 128Mbit games)