Author Topic: slow loading speeds  (Read 3844 times)

Offline dvd2vcd

• retro gaming enthusiast
slow loading speeds
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:51 AM »
just wondering why it takes ages for games to load? it says i have a slow sd card (i have tried 4 sd cards big and small)..it wont let me rename file from slow to fast (says i must type a file name which i did i typed .fast and it wouldnt let me) takes 2-3 seconds to load 32mb games on my ED64 but takes about 60 seconds to load from neo 2 pro..strange....
please make a atari jaguar flash cart!!!!!!!

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
Re: slow loading speeds
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:27:36 AM »
If you are using Windows, run explorer.exe, go to tools > folder options > view and untick "Hide extensions for known file types". You could just delete the .slow file and the menu will retest the card.

Due to the design of the hardware, even at full speed, the Myth is still slower to load from SD than most competing products.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:17:02 AM by Sektor »

Offline dvd2vcd

• retro gaming enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 04:53:19 AM »
oh ok...never mind at least myth plays everygame i have and i got the jet force gemini boot cart ;)
please make a atari jaguar flash cart!!!!!!!

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:05:04 AM »
We crank the cart bus to the max to get better read speeds on the N64, but depending on the N64 cart connected to the Myth as well as certain SD cards, you can sometimes get "flaky" read data from the SD. So when the menu starts, it looks for two files: ".slow" or ".fast". If it doesn't find one of them, it does a test to see how reliable reading is at fast rates. If the test fails, it writes ".slow" to the card and runs at the normal cart bus speed when reading the SD card. If it passes, it writes ".fast" to the card and runs at full speed. If you think there was a problem when the test occurred and wish to try it at full speed, then rename the file from ".slow" to ".fast" and it should try to read at full speed. If games fail to run, it's either the cart connected to the Myth or the SD card (or maybe both) causing the issue. Try a different N64 cart and/or a different SD card.

I've also been trying to get a third speed between the two going... a ".quick" speed that is faster than ".slow", but slower than ".fast" to help people stuck at slow speeds.

Offline Koyuki

• NEO newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:06:35 AM »
I don't care much for the time it takes, because I'm not changing the game all the time, but ... My takes a long time too. What is the speed that you consider normal?

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »
I run on ".fast", so about 13 seconds to load an 8 MByte game. That's about 630 KBytes/sec transfer rate. Remember that the NeoMyth cart doesn't have DMA for transferring data from the SD card to memory, it's all done by the CPU.

The fastest speed varies a little based on the SD - I've seen reports of some people loading an 8 MByte game in 11 seconds, but that's about the fastest I've seen reported.

Offline Koyuki

• NEO newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:09:42 PM »
 :) So it's all right here.