Author Topic: Neo Power PCE 128M+SAVE ---> Glitchs, Freezes on Duo-R and Supergrafx  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Aburamushi

• NEO newbie
Hello,

I just received my cart (Neo Power PCE 128M+SAVE), and I can't use it.
I have tested on my supergrafx and duo-r (both japanese consoles), and when I try to launch any game, it either freeze, or have graphical issue.
I'm using the NEO2 Manager and each rom I add have the Japan region option.

When I play with real hucard games, I have no problem at all.

Can I have some help please?

Update: I tred with my WIN 7 64bits + NEO2 Manager, and with my other computer running WINXP + the 1.1 software that comme with the cd, I have the same results...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:05:09 AM by Aburamushi »

Offline meka

• NEO newbie
Alot of games don't work on the flash cart, I've got the same one as you, and I will do a list of all the games that don't work (US) at all or properly.

Offline Supremo Lagarto

• NEO newbie
Re: Neo Power PCE 128M+SAVE ---> Glitchs, Freezes on Duo-R and Supergrafx
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 07:39:24 AM »
You have to strip the headers with all Japanese games and mirror all games that are 384 kb.

Your console probably has a weak +5 volt line for the cart slot.  You will get intermittent errors on all games on the Flash card, but real games will work.

You will need to get a plane old Turbo Grafx for the flash card.

Have you tried using the flash card on the Super Grafx without the CD Rom connected?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:37:24 AM by Supremo Lagarto »

Offline Morden

• ║║█│││█│║│││║║│█║
    • Morden's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »
You will need to get a plane old Turbo Grafx for the flash card.

The console is not the problem. The cartridge and its firmware are. I have the 128 + save as well, and I get freezes, glitchy graphics, games that won't boot at all, you name it. Also, the reset button does not work and never has.

Oh, and I tested this on both a PC Engine and TurboGrafx, so the console type is clearly not an issue. The cartridge itself is a buggy and unstable solution. I tested US game images on the TurboGrafx, Japanese ones on the PCE, I stripped the headers of Japanese games for use with TG and mirrored the banks accordingly. There's no rom fix for the problems people are experiencing with these flash devices. It's the device itself.

I've never been able to run some games successfully, Street Fighter II included. Some games will just freeze the menu 8 out of 10 times you write them to the cartridge [as in they won't work at all and freeze the menu, you re-flash the whole cartridge, they still don't work and so on, until by CHANCE they'll start working on the 10th re-flash].

I'm actually stunned that these issues haven't been addressed at all, since it's clearly a serious problem. You pay ~$150 and this is what you get. On top of that, the USB Slim Loader I got was defective and I was never able to get a replacement for it, so go figure.

Offline Supremo Lagarto

• NEO newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »
The console is not the problem. The cartridge and its firmware are. I have the 128 + save as well, and I get freezes, glitchy graphics, games that won't boot at all, you name it. Also, the reset button does not work and never has.

Oh, and I tested this on both a PC Engine and TurboGrafx, so the console type is clearly not an issue. The cartridge itself is a buggy and unstable solution. I tested US game images on the TurboGrafx, Japanese ones on the PCE, I stripped the headers of Japanese games for use with TG and mirrored the banks accordingly. There's no rom fix for the problems people are experiencing with these flash devices. It's the device itself.

I've never been able to run some games successfully, Street Fighter II included. Some games will just freeze the menu 8 out of 10 times you write them to the cartridge [as in they won't work at all and freeze the menu, you re-flash the whole cartridge, they still don't work and so on, until by CHANCE they'll start working on the 10th re-flash].

I'm actually stunned that these issues haven't been addressed at all, since it's clearly a serious problem. You pay ~$150 and this is what you get. On top of that, the USB Slim Loader I got was defective and I was never able to get a replacement for it, so go figure.
First of all it is not a "problem" with your console. Your console has exactly enough juice on the +5 volt line for the slot to support a standard Hucard. I does not have enough juice for a flash device. I am not saying your console has a defect.

I have no problems with the software or firmware using a US Turbo Grafx 16 and Windows 7 64-bit. However, I get exactly the same problems you are having when I attempt to use the flash device with my Duo, which has a weaker +5 volt rail for the card slot.

I repeat, your console is not the "problem" as the flash card requires more power than a console can supply a hucard. Some NEC consoles can supply enough power for a flash device, some can't. If yours is one that can't that does not mean it is defective and needs to be fixed. It means it just flat out won't work on that console. These issues are known of this flash device among the online PC Engine enthusiast community. If you do a little research in related forums on other websites you will be able to verify this from a variety of other sources.

Unless your cart is defective (meaning different than everyone else's), your problem is with the +5 volt line on the Hucard slot. I suspect that if you get a cheap US Turbo Grafx off of eBay (and don't modify it or attach a CD-ROM add-on) it will likely be compatible with the device. Unless your device is defective, in which case you need to get them to send you a replacement or open a claim through PayPal and send it back for a refund.

If your assertion is that all PCE E Flash devices are buggy, then it is unfounded as the one I am using works flawlessly on an American Turbo Grafx for all games I have tried, except for Street Fighter 2.

The problem with these carts is that they need additional power not supplied by the console. I've been discussing this in another forum and some people are working on a way to modify them.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 04:32:49 AM by Supremo Lagarto »

Offline Sinizar

• NEO newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:06:49 AM »
I have this cart and so far the menu comes up but nothing happens.  I select the game, nothing loads.