Author Topic: 128 M PC-E + Save --> How to disable save functionality? Hardware, not sofware.  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Supremo Lagarto

• NEO newbie
I have the PC-E Ultra 128M+Save.

The Save function of the cart causes problems, such as incompatibility with the DUO. This card works perfectly in my American Turbo Grafx consoles, but not in my Duo.

A few hackers that I know have discovered that the Save function of the card is doing this.

I would like to know how to disable the Save function so that the card is simply a 128M card with no save function.

Would it be possible for me to just remove the Save battery?

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
hi,you need remove the SRAM chip from the cart, move battery can't get your aim.
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline Supremo Lagarto

• NEO newbie
hi,you need remove the SRAM chip from the cart, move battery can't get your aim.

How would I go about doing that? Would it require micro-soldering?

Would it even really be feasible?

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
yes it's feasible, but you need some DIY ability and some soldering tools.

Offline Supremo Lagarto

• NEO newbie
yes it's feasible, but you need some DIY ability and some soldering tools.

Well, I've disassembled the card into the PCB (with the ICs) and the plastic case.

Then I removed the glue that holds the two together.

However, upon reassembling the card to make sure I had not destroyed it...

...it now appears to work in the DUO. This would suggest that the way the card was slapped together, the glue was creating a broken trace that was a factor on the DUO, but not on the US system. The glue must have been bending the PCB, just enough, to break a trace.

I'm still testing to be positive, but I can now play straight through 3 levels of legendary Axe II. Earlier the game would corrupt after 1 or 2 levels.

Update:
Unfortunately, there are still graphical errors that appear when using the Duo. However, they manifest much later than before.

On the US Turbo Graphics systems these graphical errors never show up at all.

I'm going to be be getting a Core Grafx soon. I'll be interested to see what it does on that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 09:02:42 AM by Supremo Lagarto »

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
On the US Turbo Graphics systems these graphical errors never show up at all.

maybe is the DUO card socket connection not very well, you can try to clean the socket. ~sm-57.gif~.gif

Offline Supremo Lagarto

• NEO newbie
maybe is the DUO card socket connection not very well, you can try to clean the socket. ~sm-57.gif~.gif
Thanks for your response.
As you can see from the video below, I am familiar with cleaning the slots in these consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS-Iydy7TMU

* The socket is clean (the Duo works with all of my PC Engine games and the Arcade card. No problems. Pin connections are sparkling clean).
* The DUO slot is actually cleaner than my Turbo Grafx consoles because it has a dust cover.
* Many other users have reported the 128M + Save version having graphical corruption with Systems that have a CD-ROM attached.
* At this stage I've experienced the same problems other NEC consoles with CD-ROM units built in or attached. I've had the device since 2011.

Now that I've finally remembered how to flash this thing properly and have flashed the device for my Japanese Core Grafx I have found that the device works as well with the Core Grafx as it does with the Turbo Grafx. It appears to me that the presence of the CD-ROM is creating a problem. I've also tested this device with a Turbo Duo and a Turbo Grafx with a CD-ROM. It had issues in those consoles as well. However, in consoles with no CD-ROM, it works perfectly.

Update:
* Just tested in yet another Core Grafx. Card worked perfectly.
* For the heck of it, I cleaned the slot in my Duo (which has a CD-ROM, of course). There was no dirt in it though. Tried it again. Same issue. I can play a game for anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour, then it will start to corrupt.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:38:17 AM by Supremo Lagarto »

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
seems the CD-ROM cause this issue, but i don't have a CD-ROM kit to test it yet, i''ll find one.
and if want to know any user have test the original 64M or 128M without save PCE myth cart is working fine in the PCE CD-ROM console?

Offline Supremo Lagarto

• NEO newbie
seems the CD-ROM cause this issue, but i don't have a CD-ROM kit to test it yet, i''ll find one.
and if want to know any user have test the original 64M or 128M without save PCE myth cart is working fine in the PCE CD-ROM console?

I know of a couple of people who have the 64M version who say they use it with their Duo's with no problems at all. One of them goes by Atreyu187 on assembler games.

Several users on PCEngineFX have reported that the +SAVE version is buggy and that I should have gone for the regular version.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:06:14 AM by Supremo Lagarto »

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
ok i see,thanks Supremo Lagarto, we will study it.  ~sm-41.gif~

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
hi Supremo Lagarto, please try this way:

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,6253.0.html

you can use button II to start the game when you have a CD-ROM unit on your console, it will disable the save module by software then enter the game,because the pce 128M + save care will use the console inner 2M cache to keep the save, but the CD-ROM will use this 2M cache too,so it'll make a conflict.

Offline Supremo Lagarto

• NEO newbie
That was one of the first things I tried and that makes no difference.

Starting with button I or button II still results in the rom being corrupted as you play on the Duo or on a Turbo Grafx 16 with the CD unit attached.

However, it plays just fine on PC Engines and Turbo Grafx consoles with no CD-ROM. This is only a problem for the card that has the "save" feature. I really wish I had bought the one without the save feature.