Author Topic: Purchased the SNES myth cart + Neo3-SD bundle - What now??  (Read 8236 times)

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
Re: Purchased the SNES myth cart + Neo3-SD bundle - What now??
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »
Also, NTSC vs PAL - is there a patching/convert tool out there? Most roms are available in both PAL and NTSC, but some are only NTSC, can i somehow convert these SMC files to play them on my PAL snes without getting the "this cart is not intended bla bla" - or can the myth cart help me? :-)

It can. Press X at the main menu screen to get to the options screen. Scroll down to "Autofix region" and change it to "Quick" or "Complete" ("Quick" patches only the first ROM bank which usually is enough, "Complete" patches all ROM banks but is slower).

If you're loading from a SD card you can change the default value of this setting so that you won't have to set it every time you want to run a game from a different region:

* Create a file named SETTINGS.TXT
* Add the string "REGION_FIX=x" (without the quotation marks) to the text file. Replace x with 1 for "Quick" mode, or 2 for "Complete" mode
* Place the text file in the /MENU/SNES directory on the SD card

Offline TwinA

• NEO newbie
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »
THANK YOU mic_! :) :)

Are there more settings i can store this way? Eg, what options can i put into SETTINGS.TXT?

Can you help me out a bit more? I have problems making savegames work correctly.. I loose them when playing new games, how can i avoid this? I have read i can transfer them to the PC, but arent there some way of storing all savegames on the SD card, so the emulator will find them and let me load them as it is usually done with physical cartridges?

Sorry for the late reply (nearly a month), i have been very hung up on other business. My offer on writing a full guide/FAQ/etc for the cart still remains, if just someone would tell me everything there is to know ("if just..." - i know it sounds bold, its not meant that way, i just cant find any other way of putting it) :)

Kind Regards
TwinAdk

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »
Eg, what options can i put into SETTINGS.TXT?

At the moment there are only three settings that are recognized:

Code: [Select]
START_DIR=filesystem_pathSets the initial directory that you'll end up in when you switch to SD mode (the default is /SNES/ROMS).

RESET_MODE=0|1|2Sets the default reset mode. 0, 1 and 2 corresponds to resetting to the game, resetting to the menu after 3 seconds, and resetting to the menu.

REGION_FIX=0|1|2Sets the default region fixing mode. 0, 1 and 2 corresponds to Off, Quick and Complete.

but arent there some way of storing all savegames on the SD card, so the emulator will find them and let me load them as it is usually done with physical cartridges?

Unfortunately not. This has its roots in the fact that I'm using a light-weight library for handling the SD card's filesystem which only supports reading files. As time went by I bolted support for long filenames and writing to existing files on top of that code, but I haven't implemented automatic backup of SRAM to the SD card. If I add this in the future it will probably require you to put empty save-files on the SD card beforehand, because the filesystem library isn't capable of creating new files or directories, and adding that functionality would be quite a large task (and might prove very difficult due to code size restrictions).

Offline TwinA

• NEO newbie
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 07:16:40 AM »
Hello mic_!

Once again, thank you! You have no idea how happy I am with your answers :-) Thank you for the settings, I'm going to use some of them, and put the rest in a guide ill do for the cart.

About sram saving I have read about the limitations before. And it's perfectly okay, the cart is awesome even without auto save ;-) How would one best handle save games? There are some save slot settings before starting the game, how do they work?

Kind Regards

Edit: http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,7618.0.html
That thread covers my saving questions, unless you have something to add mic_? :-)

How can I dump saves to sd, doesn't it requires the file to be created in advance? If so, how is it named and where to put it?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:23:38 PM by TwinA »

Offline TwinA

• NEO newbie
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
Anyone..? Would love to find the easiest possible way to handle savegames in a reliable way  ~sm-92.gif~.gif