Author Topic: Help on purchase  (Read 5401 times)

Offline wildchild22

• NEO newbie
Help on purchase
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:39:05 AM »
What neo products do I need to buy for the genesis myth to use the sd card?
The ics2005 website shows a NEO2 Pro 1024M Flash Cart + SL4 but this dont appear to be SD?

Can someone send the correct url from the ics webshop so I buy the correct stuff.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: Help on purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 05:34:38 AM »
http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=119&cat=0&page=1

That's the Neo2-Pro - if you look at the description, it says it can use SD cards for the NDS, but with the proper menu, it can use SD cards with the Myth carts as well. You use the DX menu on the MD Myth for using the SD card with the Neo2-Pro.

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=41&cat=0&page=2

That's the Neo2-SD, the Neo2-Pro's little brother. That also allows you to use the SD card with the MD Myth. It was the first supported since the Neo2-Pro wasn't available at that time. The Neo2-Pro was made with the N64 Myth as the primary target since it has twice the psram and flash, allowing bigger games to be played from the SD card on the N64 Myth. If you plan to one day get the N64 Myth, I'd recommend the Neo2-Pro over the Neo2-SD.

Offline Fab

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
so with the Neo2 Pro i can input a 2gb SD Card or higher to store games on it? If not then would be the Neo2-SD the choice?

Im planing to get the MD and N64 Cart aswell!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:22:07 PM by Fab »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
so with the Neo2 Pro i can input a 2gb SD Card or higher to store games on it? If not then would be the Neo2-SD the choice?

Im planing to get the MD and N64 Cart aswell!

You can use SDHC with either one. If you are planning to get the N64 cart, you should probably get the Neo2-Pro as it will be more useful with the N64 Myth (by allowing you to play games up to 32MBytes from SD - the Neo2-SD only allows up to 16 MBytes).

Offline Fab

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 01:54:37 AM »
You can use SDHC with either one. If you are planning to get the N64 cart, you should probably get the Neo2-Pro as it will be more useful with the N64 Myth (by allowing you to play games up to 32MBytes from SD - the Neo2-SD only allows up to 16 MBytes).

ok so that means I can store xxxxx Perfect Dark roms on my card till I reach 2gb ?

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 02:10:46 AM »
ok so that means I can store xxxxx Perfect Dark roms on my card till I reach 2gb ?

Assuming you have a 2GB card. If you have an 8GB card, then you can store up to 8GB of roms.

The main difference between the Neo2-SD and the Neo2-Pro isn't the SD interface, it's the amount of RAM in the cart. The Neo2-SD has 16 MBytes of RAM in the cart, while the Neo2-Pro has 32 MBytes of RAM. That RAM is used to hold the rom image loaded off the SD card. Clearly, you can run games that are twice as big when you use the Neo2-Pro.

So if you have the Neo2-SD, while you can put Perfect Dark on the SD card, you won't be able to run it because the Neo2-SD doesn't have enough RAM to hold the entire game.

Offline Fab

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 05:54:53 AM »
can I store multiple roms per ex. MD and N64 on 1 Neo2-Pro  and switch the cart between a MD and N64 Flash card ?

greets

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »
If you put the N64 menu in the U2 flash and the MD menu in the Neo2-Pro menu flash, you can use the same Neo2-Pro for both MD and N64 Myth carts. I'm not sure if the manager can put games in the flash for both systems... probably not, but you can run both off the same SD card; just put MD games in one directory, and N64 games in another... or mix them all in the same directory, it doesn't matter. It's just easier to separate them.

If you do this, be sure to set the N64 Myth to boot from boot path A2 (the U2 flash), and to set boot path A1 to the MD menu.

Offline Fab

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 08:51:39 PM »
If you put the N64 menu in the U2 flash and the MD menu in the Neo2-Pro menu flash, you can use the same Neo2-Pro for both MD and N64 Myth carts. I'm not sure if the manager can put games in the flash for both systems... probably not, but you can run both off the same SD card; just put MD games in one directory, and N64 games in another... or mix them all in the same directory, it doesn't matter. It's just easier to separate them.

If you do this, be sure to set the N64 Myth to boot from boot path A2 (the U2 flash), and to set boot path A1 to the MD menu.

3 years later and I forget everything LOL

I have the MD 3-in1 and the neo 64 myth card. I want to use the neo 2 cart on both CARTS.

in which Format do i have to format the NEO 2 cart? The menus are written directly to the the GAME CARTS right? Where Can I write those menus it isn't the same than formatting the carts RIGHT?!

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 08:14:14 AM »
Format the Neo2-Pro as N64, but set the BIOS file for the Neo2-Pro path to the MDBIOS.BIN file, and the U2 path to the NEON64v64.BIN file. The N64 will boot from the U2 path (the U2 path is the menu flash on the N64 Myth cart, not the Neo2-Pro). The other path is the menu flash on the Neo2-Pro, and setting it to MDBIOS.BIN will allow the MD to boot off the Neo2-Pro menu flash.

Updates for both consoles can be on the SD card. You have a "menu" directory on the SD card, and in that would be an "n64" directory and an "md" directory. Inside the "md" directory you would put the MDEBIOS.BIN file, and in the "n64" directory you would put the "NEON64SD.z64" file. You'd also want to put the boxart in the "n64" directory (in a "boxart" subdirectory of course).

Both the N64 and MD menus handle SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, but SDXC must be formatted as FAT32, not ExFAT. I currently use a 64GB SDXC card for my N64.

Offline Fab

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »
thanks I really appreciate your support.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:01:26 PM by Fab »