Author Topic: N64 cart backup  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Jimmiejoe

• NEO newbie
N64 cart backup
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:45:05 AM »
I recently purchased the N64 Myth and NEO2 Pro bundle so that I can backup my N64 carts, however I am having trouble understanding how to backup my carts.
Is there a guide to assist me with this.
I have 20+ carts that I want to backup, so that I can reset them to allow my kids to start playing them from the beginning without lossing my work.  I also want to be able to swap the save file out between three different people.

I have cart that save on the cart as well as carts that save on the controller. I want to be able to access all of the different save locations.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: N64 cart backup
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:57 AM »
You can backup the save memory on carts with save memory by pressing the left shoulder button while in the SD card browser of the menu. I have not found a way to backup the rom in the cart yet... still trying to get info on that from Dr.neo. However, you can just download roms you have off the net as ALL N64 carts have been dumped. Once you have saved the save memory from the cart to the SD card, you can use any PC to copy those save files to your PC to save them on the hard drive. To use someone else's save file, copy their save file to the saves directory in the SD card for the menu to load before it runs the game. The save manager can copy both save memory on the cart plugged into the back of the Myth, and the memory in the save cart plugged into any controller. There's a post on all that somewhere in the threads from when I added that. I'll have to find that for you.

To start your kids off from scratch, just put the games you want them to be able to play on the SD card that you stick in the Neo2-Pro, and DON'T put any save files on the SD card - that will make them start out from scratch. The first time you run the menu, it checks your SD card for the needed directories... if they don't exist, it creates them. The save files for games will end up in /menu/n64/saves/ under the name of the rom with an extension that reflects the type of save memory. For example, "Super Mario 64.eep" would be the save file for Mario64. If the save file doesn't exist, it is created as a blank file. Always reset the game after playing - don't turn off the N64. When you reset to the menu, the save memory in the Myth cart is automatically saved to the file on the SD card. The next time you run the game, the menu sees the file and loads it into the save memory before starting the game.

Offline Jimmiejoe

• NEO newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:03:10 AM »
Thank you.
I prefer to have the kids interact with the actual carts, than to have them handling the myth which they are likely to disassembly or break.
Swapping save file will be safer until they are older.
I hope you can find the thread on the different memories, or let me know what search term might yield a hit.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:07:50 AM »
The current menu doesn't write the saves back to the carts... I've only had two people ask for that option. It never occurred to me that people might want to write saves back to carts, just to read them. It CAN write the memory carts in the controllers. So if the games all use the controller memory paks, that will work. Note that the memory pak save/restore is currently all or nothing. You can't save individual saves on the mem pak, just the ENTIRE mem pak.

I'm currently setting up a new computer, so none of my toolchains are in place yet. When I get them installed, I'll see what I can do to add writing saves back... after all, can't disappoint two people now, right?
 ~sm-70.gif~.gif
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:10:00 AM by ChillyWilly »

Offline slothette64

• N64-head
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 05:16:17 AM »
you could say make that three!!  ~sm-76.gif~.gif
id also really like to swap saves from original carts to myth and back

also
backup and manage individual memory pak saves
even though it seems like we can have a lot
there still must be a limit sometime

even if its some hexcode hack and not an actual myth feature
how can we customise our own memory pak backups??

Offline Jimmiejoe

• NEO newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
Thank you.
Some of the carts like Pokemon stadium and Pokemon stadium 2 do not use the mem pak. It would be really nice if I could get all of my stuff on these two cart backed up. Is this some thing the myth is capable of given time?
Regarding the mem pak, is it possible to edit the individual game saves once you get it on to the pc.