Author Topic: Sonic The Hedgehog SMS Myth bug  (Read 4082 times)

Offline joyeux

Sonic The Hedgehog SMS Myth bug
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:48:17 AM »
I downloaded the new Sonic The Hedgehog FM Hack for the SMS, and flashed it into my NEO Flash 256Mb.

After defeating Robotnik for good, he runs into a teleporter and then Sonic goes after him. But using the Myth MD with the 256Mb flash, Sonic always gets stuck in the teleporter screen, which stops working.

The first time it happened didn't impress me because it already occurred in the original game (tough rarely). But after 4 tries, in different game situations (emeralds, lives, continues), Sonic still got stuck in the same screen. Robotnik kind of takes a little longer time to teleport (maybe he loses the first ticket?), and the game holds Sonic for a while. When it's his turn, there's no more teleporting for him. It doesn't work even stepping together with Robotnik in the teleport. After the (hidden) counter completes 10 minutes I try again to no success.

Tried also original game rom, same problem. Tried the Mega Everdrive, teleport is ok for the same rom and the hacked one. Tried my Japanese Model 1 Mega Drive. Same problem with the Myth.

If there was a way to patch the game to start in the last boss, it would be easier to do more tests, but this patch doesn't seem to work in ROM (00D23E:11 - maybe it is a RAM patching?).

So I'm assuming this is some Neo Myth issue. Chilly could you please have a look at this???

Offline joyeux

Re: Sonic The Hedgehog SMS Myth bug
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
I solved this problem by formatting the flash thus erasing all 60+ sms games that were burnt in there. I don't know why, but when I store a lot of games in the flash some games start to behave strangely, as the Sonic game did. After formatting and flashing just this game, it worked as expected.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
I solved this problem by formatting the flash thus erasing all 60+ sms games that were burnt in there. I don't know why, but when I store a lot of games in the flash some games start to behave strangely, as the Sonic game did. After formatting and flashing just this game, it worked as expected.

The client has some known bugs when adding/removing games from the game flash , and most of them are related to usb timeouts that cause trashing to the active block that's being processed...

"Solution":Just load your games off SD and you should be fine ...

Offline joyeux

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »
Yes, I noted that when I used the official programmer. I gave up the programmer because it displayed a lot of error messages when flashing, messing up the flashed games. Even sram data was affected.

I currently use the old madmonkey's Myth Programmer, which uses libusb. I think I am one of the few users of the Myth Flash, and maybe the only one who still uses madmonkey's homebrew.

My hardware is V4, and I can't load SMS roms directly from SD Card. Is there any additional hardware needed for this to work (aside from V5 Myth)?

I guess I'll have to beg to Neoflash for creating a new *working* programmer. I know Chilly Willy is doing a new menu for the Myth, hopefully this will fix all those bugs.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »
My hardware is V4, and I can't load SMS roms directly from SD Card. Is there any additional hardware needed for this to work (aside from V5 Myth)?

No. Unless it was possible from the host console to access game flash with write permissions.

I guess I'll have to beg to Neoflash for creating a new *working* programmer. I know Chilly Willy is doing a new menu for the Myth, hopefully this will fix all those bugs.

The menu can't fix writing issues in GAME FLASH caused by USB timeouts of the programmer.
When the flash gets trashed , it simply gets........... trashed :)

From the other hand , a trashed GF can break the menu in some ODD cases(ie when the header validation byte isn't 0xff , then the result on string operations on GF are unpredictable and will probably lead to hard crash .Look @get_menu_flash() function to get an idea)...